Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon front differential problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon front differential problem

Hey All. I installed a High Lifter locker and Unlocker on my Rubicon about a year ago. The Locker was awesome but the unlocker was very unpredictable. Anywhoooo....all was cool until my girlfriend had problems riding it, with locking and unlocking and all so I decided to put the stock limited slip differential back in. My problem is that when I turn it, it makes a racheting sound. I went through everything again. Even up on a test stand, I can hold one of the wheels firm while I gas it and the wheel stays steady in my hand while the diffy pops with a rattling noise. I have a Honda service manual but I don't know if I can trust it because it was an early version that has corrective pages glued upon ealier pages. I have used the Honda oil on it the first time and Valvoline the second, neither made things cool. It's pretty straight forward, the re-assembly of the stock front diffy, and I've gone through it twice. I'm not above making mistakes but what could I have done that is causing this? Every check the manual has recomended has been done ,except the torque test on the diffy, and things were in spec. The stock diffy only had about a year and a half on it before I installed the locker. All suggestions are very welcome.......Except from GregV...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]