Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

the new elderblock carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody getting the elderblock carb for there
400ex heard it's supose to be the best and put
the fcr 39 to shame. just got off the phone with a guy, he said 6hp for a stock 400ex and up to
12hp for a highly modified one.
he said all they race is 400exs and they all have them on. and highly recomends the carb. anybody else have any info on this carb????????

Old 05-19-2000, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

I have heard and read the corporate spill on the carb. It does sound good, but I have only heard from one person that actually used the carb, and it was'nt good. If anyone has one, please tell us what you think of it? Thanks!

Old 05-19-2000, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder how anyone could have tried one since they aren't available yet? They have one for the XR400 dirt bike that got a good review in one of the dirt bike magazines. Maybe someone tried that unit on the TRX400EX? I do know that they are developing a model specifically for the TRX400EX, which is due out in June.

I wouldn't take the word of the Edelbrock rep. about how well his product compares to the FCR. I'm sure he is going to be biased towards his own product. What interests me about this carb is that it doesn't use the standard round needle in a round hole. I work in a field that deals a lot with metering fluids and air. One thing that I have learned over the years is that a needle valve, as used in a standard carb,is a very unreliable device. The fundamental problem with most needle valves is the dramatic change in flow if the needle moves off centerline axis. If the needle is loose enough to deviate off centerline and make contact with the mating bore, the cross section of flow area can be reduced by up to a third!

The most reliable way to control fluid volume is with positive displacement injectors. Next would be using a fixed orifice and regulating the pressure of the fluid. The Quicksilver does'nt use a typical loose round needle. Instead it has a scalloped piston that stays concentric within its bore. Assuming that the parts are manufactured to close tolerance, this design would be like a fixed orifice and should dispense fluid much more consistently than a loose needle. The net result should be smoother more tractable power, not necessarily more power.

The article about the XR400 with the Quicksilver carb said just that- smooth more controlable power delivery from bottom to top.

Old 05-19-2000, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

hey garyc400ex, so what was the bad news that you
heard about the carb, the place i talked to was
golden west cycle 1-800-383-6776, out of dirt wheels mag. the price listed in the mag is $399.99 but it's actully only $319.99. ok after
i typed the price $319.99 i diconnected and
called golden west cycle again to ? them about the
carb, and how they already have them, and i talked to a differnt guy tonight. they are sponsered by elderblock, and the carb has been out and he said to call back in 2 weeks,
this guy took care of the mortor cycle section but also said nothing but great things about the carb. if you don't beleive me call them your self and from what they tell you, i garentee you will want one.

99 426ex,11:1,web cam,port job,rev box,k/n,dyno jet kit,6 air box vents,ids-2 super trapp pipe, = lots of kick *** power

Old 05-24-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

anybody have one yet??

Old 05-24-2000, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

When I contacted Edelbrock about the carb(2 months ago), they they told me that the XR400 carb is the same one used on the 400ex. Trailmix, who did you speak with when you spoke with someone at Edelbrock. If possible, I would like to ask for that person and get the scoop. Anyway, the person I was speaking of has a xr400 that he had put the Edelbrock carb on. He said that the performance was way down and he hated the carb. He later purchased a Mikuni pumper from Steve Aviagliano at XR's only. He said that the bike ran great then. I never rode the bike, but know the guy.

Old 05-24-2000, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Garyc400EX, I think the guy I talked to was Mike Price. Check out their web site- there is a section on Quicksilver carbs. The section lists all current applications and those under developement. It also give illustrations and descriptions of the construction of these carbs.

That's discouraging to hear about your friends' experience on the XR400. We'll have to wait and see how it works on a 400EX. I don't feel like spending $350 before hearing some first-hand accounts of how well the carb works.