Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Attention Rubicon and Rincon Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention Rubicon and Rincon Owners

I have just recently sold my most trusty Big Bear 400 4x4
and am looking to buy my next 4x4. Friends have recommended Honda or Kawasaki.

Question:
Would you buy another Rincon or Rubicon? Do you feel the Prairie 650 is a better machine?
I'm not looking for the dirt bike mag's (paid for) good reviews here, I am looking for the owners long term, real life test of the machine.

Thanks for any help,
and see ya on the trails

Gary Mudder

Old 07-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I have a little to offer. I have a 01 Rubiconn (no mods) and my riding partner has 03 P650. I have have 2500kms and he has 1200Km's on his. Here is the breakdown of the good and bad on each.

Rubiconn: Good points

1. Best transmission bar none (even better than Rincon) In my opinion.
2. Great ground Clearence
3. Good looks
4. From the factory it has better skid plates and tires than the P650
5. Honda Reliabilty

P650 Good points

1. Strong and fast engine
2. 2wd/4wd option
3. Locking front diff

I can say that I have not had a problem with the Rubiconn although I admit I don't drive as hard as my partner. He on the other hand has had the following problems. His pull cord (not the rope) but the whole assembly came apart last week. The good news is that the Dealer is going take one off there show machine and put it on his and get Kawai to put a new one on the warrantied machine they have (very nice of the dealer) but then again this should not have happened on aq 8 month old machine. His front differential is leaking oil ( not a big deal) but again after 8 months?? I would also say that he had to buy after skid plates because from the factory the P650 has nothing. He had to put better tires because they are terrible, and the belt drive tranny had to be modified because the belt slips with the factory springs. So it has to be constasntly monitored and tightened and belts replaced at $110 bucks a belt. Again if you like to maintain adn adjust your bike this is no big deal.

In general there botyh good bikes but Honda is defintely more reliable while the Kawi with that engine is more fun to drive. One thing he learned was that while the Kawi was cheaper to buy initially he had to add better tires, skid plates, stiffer shocks, and clutch work to get it to same place the Honda's come from the facxtory with. That evens out the price a little.

These are just my opinions from owning one and riding with the other. But really if speed is what you want and you don't mind higher maintenance and buying after market parts the Kawi is a good bike.

Old 07-31-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 01 Rubicon with 3500 miles on it, zero problems. Would not trade it for any other ATV on the market today except a new Rubicon with the GPS option. The transmission it great, love it. We like the stability and ergonomics of the machine. Only thing I wish was different is I wish it had a bigger gas tank, 75 mile range if average ridding. Very capable all around ATV.

We like the Rincon and could have one if we wanted, but we will keep the Rubicon.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

i love my rincons. have had zero problems with them and i ride mine pretty hard. not sure what the riding is like in florida, but may soon find out. i have heard mixed reviews about rincon in mud and water. i havent had a problem and have been pretty impressed but i also dont have alot of access to wet riding.

1500 miles in 6 months. its been rolled twice, hit one tree and towed a raptor and pushed a polaris up a hill.

a great ride.

Old 08-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

The latest Prairie has the 700 cc V twin engine (mostly) from the V Force. It weaigh a little less than the 650 did. It should be worth riding and comparing, it is certainly stronger than the Hondas in engine power. On the downside, it has a rubber band tranny.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:59 AM
Range Rover

I have an 03 Rincon,
No trouble and I love it. I ride hard and fast and hit the deepest mud I can find, I beat it like a redheaded stepchild and it still calls me daddy! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My Rincon is a pleasure to ride on both flatlands and hills... It's the only quad I have ever owned so I can't compare it to other machines, but I am thinking of buying a second one for my wife...

Old 08-04-2003, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

My 01 rubicon has 3850 miles on it now. I ride very hard and I should do more mantenence because I have had water/mud in the diff's for long periods of time, all was fixed under warrenty. Here is my list of parts replaced under warrenty. Front diff, limited slip clutches, inner left CV shaft, these were replaced around december of last year with right at 3k miles on it. Last time to the shop new back axle, gears in the diff, all wheel bearings, front knuckles. keep in mind that I ride very hard and am always in the mud and water. I have had no motor or tranny trouble so far and I hope to keep it that way. I really like the bike but I wish it came with disc brakes and a locker/unlocker setup like the praire has from the factory.