Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 EX Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 10:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody. I'm selling my R and really want to buy a 400. The main reason I'm selling is because I'm tired of working on a 13 year old bike, when you never know what's going to break that you can keep up regular maintenance on. I.E. coil, magneto, frame, etc. So I want something brand new that I can ride whenever I want and just upkeep regular maintenance. The one thing I love to do is jump, and jump high. I had works shocks and durablue ax and RPM swingarm and pipe and all that other stuff, and loved to ride on the local mx tracks. Will the four hundred match the 15-20 feet in the air I was getting with my 2-stroke? Does it have power to come out of turns and clear doubles? All I will probably ever do performance wise is a pipe and filter to this thing. I just want you info, good and bad. Thanks.
....Freddie

Old 05-23-2000, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

i have only had mine for 2 days, but i think you will find the thumper power to be enough to haul you around the track at a good rate of speed.

Old 05-23-2000, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

I bought mine three weeks ago. It rocks on the trails! I don't race but I heard it does good on the mx track also. It has almost the same amount of power. Lots of people do race these quads. Off the jumps the landing are very plush. I recomend getting new shocks after you wear out the front ones. I have no aftermarket mods.

Old 05-23-2000, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

big air is no problem at all for the 400... the suspension is much better than a stock 250r. As for getting around the MX track, they are kicking *** at the track here in Lake Geneva...

Old 05-24-2000, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

I've had mine for 6 months. I put works fronts on and love them. I ride on a motocross track that is a practice track for a 10 year old kid. However, he is like in the top 10 in the U.S. for 10-12 year olds. The largest jump there is a tabletop that is 8 ft tall and the landing is 40-50 ft away from the take off point. I would guess that the highest point is about 10ft up and I have no problem with the stock or aftermarket shocks. I parked my Explorer next to the ramp and I easily clear it the long way. Look for posts in the past for pictures and you will find 3 or 4 people jumping their 400exs pretty big. There is a guy 86atc250 (Gabe) who has some pics and a small video of jumping at Little Sahara in OK. I wish I would have been there the same weekend to see how big he really went in real life. I think he might have been able to beat me. As for the power, I think you might actually be better off due to less wheelspin out of the corners. I guess you just will have to try. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2000, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

I am here

Take a look at the link on my sig for the sand pics. I also have a pic of a double at one of our tracks, this is a still from a FMV, so the quality is poor, but you get the point. Also, here is a still of a wide open 4th gear 60'er to a flat landing. The rear tires were touching down at the red cone.

There is another private practice track that I go to that has about an 8 ft tall 70' table top, it's pretty easy to nail (or even overshoot) with the stock suspension. There are also some killer doubles there. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have some really good pics to post from there...

I may have some descent pics from our 2nd sand trip too, a friend took them, and I haven't seen or heard if they turned out good or not.

All the pics are with stock suspension, I now have TCS front shocks and they are far superior. If you plan on doing the big air right away, do yourself and the bike a favor and get aftermarket suspension.

Oh yeah, don't forget to adjust the throttle when you get it...

Old 05-24-2000, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Do you need aftermarket and\or extended A-Arm's when using your new suspension?. I am looking into new shocks or springs or something to help my heavy self out when on a MX track. You can only get so much out of the stock suspension configuration. I've seen some mention to get new springs for the front and re-valve the rear. Your thoughts???

Trending Topics

Old 05-24-2000, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

The aftermarket shocks will work fine on stock control arms. Mine are currently setup for +2 control arms, and I am currently running them on the stockers.

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend, but I would suggest having TCS custom build you a set of fronts ($650). Then have them rebuild the rear ($420). The difference will amaze you. The rough sections will no longer feel rough, and it will jump (and especially land) much better. I know it sounds too good to be true, but I'm serious.

If you find that you still want more, then get the extended control arms. They will give you more stability in the corners and give you some additional suspension travel. Note that your shocks will need to be valved for exteneded control arms. TCS will do a rebuild/revalve for $100 on the fronts.

Old 05-24-2000, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think you are right. This is the next thing on my list of "Things to Improve" on my quad. Thanks for the feedback.