Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX brake cable problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After every weekend of riding my parking brake cable is worn out. I adjust it and it becomes loose by the end of the weekend. Is this normal? Should I keep adjusting it or just deal without a parking brake? If I do keep adjusting it, will it wear out for good?

Old 05-23-2000, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

the problem is not your cable, its hondas poor design. i had a few 3 wheelers with the same brake, they had the same problem. Slip it in 1st when you park it, & forget the parking brake.

Old 05-23-2000, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I would live without it. It wears out your brakes faster. If it is necessary put it in gear.

Old 05-23-2000, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem. Everytime I wanted to use my parking brake, I had to adjust it. I got so fed up with it that I bought a block-off plate and that was the end of it.

Old 05-24-2000, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Well, at least I now know I'm not the only one that was having that problem. What exactly is the cause of it?? I can adjust the park-brake bolt on the brake caliper to where it just barely doesn't hit the pad, tighten everything up, make sure the brake doesn't drag, and it works perfect. Then I go for a ride and at the end of the day it doesn't work worth a darn!! Very irritating, and I can't figure out why this is happening. Is something working it's way loose, or is it somehow causing the pad to wear extremely fast? (I'd think I could drag my rear-brake for the entire ride and not cause that much wear, so that can't be the cause, can it?)

Old 05-24-2000, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same problem. How does that block off go on. do you have to get a different clutch perch thing where the parking break was?

Old 05-24-2000, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

the problem with the parking brake is this........when you adjust your brake, you are simple setting the caliper a certain distance from the rotor. The parking brake works great. Then, you go riding and wear some thickness off your pads.......now you need to move the caliper closer to the rotor again........do you see? I like the parking brake on the new DS 650. It works off the front brakes. Good idea I think. Honda needs to take a look around and change the parking brake design.

Old 05-25-2000, 05:59 AM
Pro Rider

There is no way the rear brake pad can wear that much in a single ride. If it did, you would be replacing the pad every 3-4 rides. I'll bet a 6-hour MX race would only wear the pad .01" at MOST, judging by how most automotive brake pads wear. Has to be something else causing the problem.

Old 05-25-2000, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

motorhead,
you might be right, but then again you might be wrong. Maybe you don't use your brakes as much as the rider asking the question. As we all know, muddy and sandy conditions can also increase brake pad wear.

P.S. where are they racing 6 hour long motos?

Old 05-25-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a problem that is common to both Honda, Suzuki, Kaw, and Yamaha that use a disc in the back. You can ride the quad for only 10-30 min and the parking brake will not work on any of these brands. I don't know what the problem is but it is the same on all of them. Take a quad that has a drum brake on the back and you can ride it for 6 months and it will still work.
If you want to like the other person said take it off and buy a block off plate for about $12 and use 1st gear as the parking brake.

Quick Reply: 400EX brake cable problem