Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

bye-bye 2-strokes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:54 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bye-bye 2-strokes!

4 strokes are not going to get any better? why wouldnt they? that makes no sense at all. R&D would shut down completely and roll over and die. competition drives manufactures to be the best and with most of these quads running on carbs you will eat those words alive. 4 strokes have some catching up to do but technology is only getting better and better these days and they will surpass the 2 strokes accomplishments one day maybe not in high end HP but in general areas that will make them better suited all around.

basically what im saying is that with fuel injection becoming more and more common on street and off road machines things are only going to get better and better. hell, id love to see a FI turbo quad from the factory which is completely realistic with FI but not with production cost.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:55 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaSandBomb
ha2- what ELF?

kc
ELF is an eco-terrorist group. they are wanted in several different countries and by our own FBI.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait until rotary engines comes to ATV's... A group at UCDavis did a project with a rotary on a jet-ski, it was way cool...

Old 08-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ridley, I am definitely not here to start a war. The way to make a lighter part is to use lighter material. You cant make aluminum paper thin and expect it to hold up. So you have to start making things out of really strong costly material like machined t-6 or titanium. The cost of doing that will drive the price high and therefore wont be feesible. Anyone and I mean ANYONE should know that cc to cc a 2-cycle will always outperform a thumper. Over the last decade the EPA and treehuggers have caused the ATV and cycle buzz motors to be forgotten and technology to basically stop. If the same technology were to be involved with the 2-cycles then there would be no issue. Us die hard 2-cycle fans will one day be forced to keep repairing ''old faithful'' or finally jump on the bandwagon, and that is inevidable. And most of the amatuer riders will be faster on the thumper only because the torque will pull through situations where a slip of the clutch or quick gear change would power the buzzsaw through. I personally dont have a thing against thumpers, but facts are facts. Bubba

Old 08-13-2003, 09:09 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

rotaries arent 4 strokes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] you 4 strokers get no credit there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

HA2, I think you are missing my point. You could add fuel injection and a turbo to make a 4 stroke a better motor but you could do the same thing to a 2 stroke and it would again outperform the 4 stroke.

All the big outboard motor companies are making fuel injected 2 strokes most of which already comply with 2006 standards. Not only do those motors outperform the 4 stroke outboards in HP but they get very similar fuel economy and emissions with fuel injection. 2 stroke motors in ATVs may not be advancing right now, but 2 stroke motors themselves are not only improving but doing so faster than 4 strokes to keep up with emissions standards.

You talk about fuel injection improving 4 strokes but have you considered the possibilities if ATV companies switch to FI in 2 strokes after 2006? FI could very possibly do the exact opposite of what you think it will and put 2 strokes back on top.

Think about this, If Yamaha was going to redesign the Banshee for 2006 the last thing they would do is to make a bunch of noise about it right now when they are trying to sell YZFs. They want everyone to trade in their old 2 strokes because they think they won’t be able to ride them anymore. If they talked about the future of 2 strokes then some people might wait and get one then instead of buying a 4 stroke now and trading it in on the next big thing in 2006. Doesn’t it seem odd to you that nobody knows for sure what will happen to 2 strokes in 2006? It would even be in the interest of some companies (Suzuki for example) to tell us that 2 strokes are done for so that we wont buy them from Yamaha. Why do you think they are not saying anything?

Old 08-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Ridley, Its ironic that you call me uneducated. By insulting me instead of debating the issue intelligently, you show your own level of education. I’ve read many of your posts on other threads and I know this is normal for you, that is exactly the type of post I would expect from you.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I dont care what anyone will ever say, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Before there was electricity, people were thinking life was about as good as things get, well, good ol' Einstein gets hit by lighting, and things really brighten up.

Well, Im sure people though 4 strokes wernt gona get much better 10 years ago, look at whats goin on now. If the R&D departments really started focusing on 2 strokes again, Im sure they could come up something brilliant. Like mentioned, each year the 2 strokes keep getting a little better, but not much.

If any of you guys are into RC cars, almost all of the cars and trucks run off 2 stroke engines. They run on glow plugs, not sparks plugs. These 1/10 scale machines are moving at 40mph, thats over 400 scale mph! Its only a matter of time before something SIMILAR is brough to a larger scale. Another thing about those engines, one will cost $80, itll be pretty slow. Another, may cost up to $300, and hauls @ss. now, if we are at the $80 slow engine stage, the future in 2 strokes could be looking very bright.

IMO, the technology used in ANY engine, will only excel. IMO, its foolish to say that 2 stroke are at the end of the road.

As for ELF, hahaha, right on! The enviormentalists shut down the dunes near my cousins place in Florida, many of you know, that they are trying to shut down the Oregon Dunes to the public too. Alot of those people contradict themselves right and left. Some people on our street, theyre treehuggers, big time. cant pave the road because of the horses they never ride. Yet, they live in a log cabin! WTF is that all about?!?

Old 08-13-2003, 10:06 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

i never said 4 strokes will begin to make more power per CC a 2 stroke of the same size and technology, i said they will surpass 2 strokes when they are stopped in production. if 2 strokes kept coming along then yes the 2 strokes would always win in the race category, but that isnt so. believe me it saddens me to see them go, but i will admit the 4 strokes of tomorrow will be better than the 2 strokes that end today.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Tom, thank you very much! You added some points that I just couldnt come up with the words for. Must be my slow typing LOL. Thumpers cannot and will not be superior to the 2-stroke period. Titanium will never be cheap no matter how much you want to buy. That is absolutely absurd to think that. That is the same as saying that platinum or gold would go down in price if you wanted to put in on a wheeler for production. Ridley, I'm afraid to say it, but you are a pessimist and I can see why other people on other topics treat you the way they do. You really show your intelligence and level of thinking. Bubba

Quick Reply: bye-bye 2-strokes!