Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

bye-bye 2-strokes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bye-bye 2-strokes!

this might be a stupid question, I heard that 04' is the last year that two strokes are going to be made, is that true??

kc

Old 08-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

I think 06 is the year the 2-strokes will be banned.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

The tragic story of the 2 stroke ban... I love 2 stroke. Our first 3 machines were 2 strokes, then finally got a Z400. I love the torque the 4 stroke has, but the sound of the 2 stroke pumps you up and gets yur adrenaline going.... thats gonna suck when that day comes.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think they will stop making them until at least 2006. Even then they could make them but might not becuase they may be to expensive to make within the stricter emisions limits. I'm pretty sure you will always be able to ride them.

I suspect that like every other type of machine ever built that no longer complies with emission standards you will always be able to register and ride 2 strokes because they were manufactured before the law was created. They generally dont pass laws that stop people from using machines that have already been built and purchased because it would cause too many problems in itself.

They wont actually ban 2 strokes (not in 2006 or the very near future). They will just make the restrictions heavier until the ones being made now no longer pass. It may cause manufacturers to stop making them because it wont be cost effective any more but it doesn’t mean they could not.

Several ATV manufacturers that also make outboard motors are already making 2 stroke outboards that comply with 2006 standards. I can think of no way they could do that if 2 stroke motors were going to be banned in 2006. I also cant think of anyone who is more likely to know for sure what is going to happen than billion dollar corporations that are investing vast fortunes into engineering these motors, and they seem to think they will still be able to sell them in 2006.

Some people just like to have something to be alarmed about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

They will still be made, just wont be allowed to be sent to the USA. You know what that means? We gonna smuggle those guys into the country!

Old 08-13-2003, 07:10 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its good news for you 4 stroke guys. technology is going to be 100% focused on you guys and youll start to see some serious performance gains from even smaller displacement and lighter machines.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

i think that it is stupid that all the tree huggers get there way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img], i think we should go burn some trees!!

kc

Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: DaSandBomb
i think that it is stupid that all the tree huggers get there way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img], i think we should go burn some trees!!

kc

ELF has burned down a lot of things in protest to envirmental reasons. not the sharpest crayons in the box.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

I don’t think 4 strokes are really going to get any better. They will try to make you think so with quads like the YFZ 450 and most will fall for it, but that doesn’t make it so.

The YZF 450 is a perfect and timely example. The frame and suspension may or may not be better than previous quads but the motor is just a dirt bike motor in an ATV. It is only more powerful than other ATVs because it comes from the factory in a higher state of tune it is not some new type of 4 stroke motor and it would still be inferior in several ways to the same frame/suspension with a 2-stroke motor.

It’s easy to argue that 4 strokes are better when nobody is making new 2 strokes, but that also doesn’t make it so. I’d like to personally ride and compare a YFZ and a GasGas 300hp. The new 4 strokes only look so good compared to 2 strokes that have not been made or changed in over 10 years like the Banshee, 250R and Quadracer and even then they are only really better if you’re a beginner motocross rider looking for a “ready to race machine” because you don’t have the $s to have a quad built.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

ha2- what ELF?

kc

Quick Reply: bye-bye 2-strokes!