Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

O-ring chain maintenance --- A must know

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2000, 11:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I just bought my 400EX and really want to know the best practice for maintaining my machine/chain, I've done a little research. This is what I've found. Many of you may have seen something on the "Hot Oil Bath" by George Lyle. Here's the link:"Hot Oil Bath" . If you don't know about it, I am sure you'll be happy you read about it.

Old 06-01-2000, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I spray o ring chains with a light coat of wd-40 to keep the o rings moist and flexible, thats all you should need to do

Old 06-01-2000, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

Dill,

I would never, never encourage anyone to use WD-40 on anything that requires constant lubrication. WD-40 is more of a cleaner than lubricant. I know plenty of people use it like they would use a bible in church, but take a look at this. Quoted by George Lyle, "Other lubes commonly used for chains include motor oil, gear oil, and WD-40. The first two oils work very well if reapplied often enough. WD-40 should never be used on a chain as it is simply a very light oil mixed with kerosene. When the kerosene evaporates, very little lubricant is left behind!"

In addition, the kerosene in the WD-40 will start to break down the rubber in your o-rings. Here's the site where I found the information:Why Not To Use WD-40

Old 06-01-2000, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

why be cheap? just use the right stuff, either chain wax, or chain oil. NASA originally developed WD40, for use on rubber orings on a jet engine. I think this was back sometime in the 60s, but they now know it pretty much eats rubber or at least dissolves it. Use the right stuff for the application and your chain will last a lot longer.

Old 06-02-2000, 08:49 AM
Range Rover

Mongoose,

Which do you use, or do you use both? I am sticking with the "Hot Oil Bath" treatment; however, I want to be sure the exterior of the chain is taken care of as well.

I've never used chain wax. I wouldn't think it would give adequate lubrication for the sprocket to chain friction.

Old 06-02-2000, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

I use WD40 to displace the water after washing then a clean piece of cloth to dry it up . I then run the ATV for around 3-5 minutes to warm up the chain then apply Maxima chain lube. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2000, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with mongoose. I just spray on chain lube after I ride and that's about it. I don't try to clean it or anything.

Old 06-02-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

o ring chains don't require lubing, thats why they have o rings...the purpose of the wd-40 is to keep the orings moist and flexible, nothing more. And if wd-40 eats o rings, I have never ever seen any damage to o rings from it, my o rings last the life of the chain, and probably would last much longer if the chain wasn't in need of replacement

Old 06-02-2000, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

yea thats why I use lube to keep the o rings soft,not to make the chain last longer or anything.

Old 06-02-2000, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

just thought i'd add my $0.02

After every ride (after I clean the bike) I always spray PJI chain lube on my chain. I don't have to adjust it that often, and i feel that it stays lubricated and properly maintanced. The honda chain lube just dries up and dosen't do anything. But i'd recomend PJI (improved more tacky) chain lube. IT also says right on the bottle that it is o-ring safe. I'd NEVER EVER spray wd-40 on it.. it'd like eat it up or something.. cleansers don't make good lubricators.
IF any of you play paintball, then it's kind of like putting windex on your paintball mask to clean it. the windex eats up the material in the glass of the masks and causes it to shatter in your face the next time you get hit in the mask.

just my $0.00 later

'00 4ooex, jetted and K&N'd.

Quick Reply: O-ring chain maintenance --- A must know