Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

QUESTION FROM POLARIS OWNER

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2000, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is not intended to offend, it is a legitimate question. I have often seen post which belittle polaris for for the number of grease fittings, and praising Honda for having sealed units. Recently a set of 300ex a-arms found there way into a co-workers machine shop. The machinist recommended that once the bushings were replaced, that the owner modifiy the arms and add grease fittings. They were all in agreement that sealed units will not keep water out, will trap water in, and provide no way to expell moisture (i.e. force out with grease). Sorry for the long post, but what has been your experiences.
xplr

Old 06-02-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 82 Big Red that still has the original sealed bearings and one of my rding partners has an all original 84 Big Red.
Personally I agree, I would like to be able to grease my ATC and ATV as I do with my other machinery. Just think, if they can last that long without greasing, can you imagine how long they would last if you could grease them.

My 2 cents
Jeff

Old 06-02-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XPLOR,I cant speak on behalf of Honda's sealed bearings yet,but on my brothers 97 King Quad 4x4,he recently spent in excess of 400 dollars to replace his rear wheel bearings with labor included.People can say what they want about sealed bearings.For the type of mud and water that an ATV often see's,greasable joints are the only way to go.===BILL

Old 06-03-2000, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

I'm a co-owner of an ATV/dirt bike shop, both my business partner and I like Honda the best and Polaris #2. I tease my partner about the number of zerk fittings on the Sportsman. However he defends Polaris on their decision on adding them. So your opinion is very likely to be valid.

Old 06-03-2000, 11:51 AM
Range Rover

I have a 1988 Honda Foreman 350 and have had absolutely no problems with it. It has been riden in mud numerous times and in water up to the top of the headlights numerous times. The only thing I had to replace was a headlight where water got into the contacts and it rusted. Of course, I did keep it clean and made sure it received a full service and maintenance check once a year. Never any trouble with any bearings. I just hope my Rubicon,when it comes in,is as good of a machine. Keep riding and by all means have fun.

Old 06-03-2000, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

It would seem that what I thought is right, the uninformed "bash", while the rest of us share quality info. Thanks for answering an evil, misguided, uneducated polaris owner. Let's Ride!
xplr

Old 06-03-2000, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

I am not opposed to grease fittings. If I had them, I would use them. If someone new how to install them and it would not interfere with the current design being nullified, I would feel fine with that.

Old 06-03-2000, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

Maybe misguided because you own a Polaris. Just kidding. I had a 1999 SP500 and sold it to a friend. I had no trouble with it at all. My friend has ridden it more and harder than I did and says he loves it. I agree, it is nice to carry on an intelligent conversation with no bashing. Keep riding and enjoy.

Old 06-03-2000, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

The suggestion the machinist made was to replace the front self aligning bearings in the a-arms with new ones but while doing so, drill a hole and insert zerks (smallest available) on either side, the bearings we looked at had some rust and they felt that the bearing failure was attributable to this. I'm not sure if there is any way to mount fittings for other bearings on the honda, but then if you are getting good life out of them it may be just as well to simply replace and get on with riding.
xplr

Old 06-05-2000, 06:18 AM
Trailblazer

Honda owners

I have a Polaris 500 Sportsman which I love, but would like a 2nd ATV for my girlfriend. I would not mind a smaller lighter atv. I choice the sp500 because I am tall and like all of those grease fittings but what would you suggest in the honda line.

Quick Reply: QUESTION FROM POLARIS OWNER