Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Curtis sparks full system or CT full system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curtis sparks full system or CT full system?

440ex026,

I am gonna test Tom Carlson's set-up on the 465ex we are building. I would have to believe a larger headpipe is gonna flow more exhaust and thus, with a 41FCR and bigger valves, be a better combination but we'll see. I am gonna use this bike in the dunes only so topend matters but I am more interested in having a great duner than a hillshooter / dragracer. I'm sure his set-up has tons of bottom / mid which is great for MX but it will also make climbing the dunes easier as I will never have to down shift like I occasionally had to do on my 440. The real reason I am gonna do it is: I already have the exhaust!

What do you attribute your 440 starting everytime to? I keep my stock rev box with me in case I don't have someone to bump start me on those cold dune mornings. She's a little cold natured.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

What do you attribute your 440 starting everytime to? I keep my stock rev box with me in case I don't have someone to bump start me on those cold dune mornings. She's a little cold natured.
Hmm just luck or maybe I have a slight sarcastic side LOL. Seriously the stk box is still in there and with the larger pilot jet the only time it doesnt fire right up is when the fuel is turned off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I dont get into MX or dragging much and do mostly XC so this one is set up for torque rather than the top end hit so there wouldnt be any advantage to the rev box's that screw up the cold starting.

I am gonna test Tom Carlson's set-up on the 465ex we are building. I would have to believe a larger headpipe is gonna flow more exhaust and thus, with a 41FCR and bigger valves, be a better combination but we'll see.
I think you will be pleasantly suprised how well the stock header works with that set up, I have heard from others who were deffinately smiling ear to ear.

I understand what your saying about exhaust flow but there is a lot more to it than just that, and I have seen more than one slightly to highly modded EX that didnt make anything near its top HP till the top 3/4 of the rpm range. I am not a professional engine builder but I have to think the problem was too much flow.

Had a chance this summer to see how much difference a more free flowing exhaust would make when the current silencer came apart at the weld, and let me tell you that though the increase in power in the higher rpms was intense the loss of lower to mid was that and more. I guess like everyting else its a trade off but I personally prefer the hard charging torque over the high rpm hit (like the 2 smokes lol) for my riding and ride style etc. Plus its a lot less work when the engine can pull down low and make you go.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

well i got a sparks X-6 pipe for 420.00 and they told me that the x-4 is only for a stock motor if you remove the air box list then the x-6 is a better pipe and they are the same price. I looked at the LRD and they were 440.00

Old 09-22-2003, 02:05 AM
cop
Pro Rider

My friend has an older full sparks system with the disks on his Raptor and it just flat out hauls *** compared to a stocker. It is a very throaty thumping exhaust. He still can't beat my Baja X Though!