Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Still up in the air about a Rincon vs. P700 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still up in the air about a Rincon vs. P700 purchase

I posted a few days ago asking for input on the pros and cons of the Rincon and it's tranny, power and lack of front differention lock up. I got a few replies but still need some more. The big downside that I can see with the Prairie is the belt drive. I don't think I like it but I have never owned a bike with one. I really like the Honda reputation and the looks of the Rincon much more than the P700 but have great reservations about some of the issues I mentioned above. I am coming off of a Raptor so it will be a new experience for me and I am looking forward to it. I would just like to get one I will be happy with and not wish I had of gotten something else. I plan on riding dunes, trails and mudding. Sorry to keep bugging everyone and thanks for your patience and understanding. Oh, and I can buy the P700 locally for $1250 less that the Rincon. Very Tempting!

Old 09-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Duramax you are going to have to decide whats more important to you.If a softer ride is more important then get the Rincon.I was lucky enough to buy my 650p from a dealer that is a Honda/kaw dealer.I rode one right after another.....litterally.I don't have blind faith to any make like alot of people do.I have owned yamahas mostly and they have been solid.The belt issue is something I have not dealt with yet.I do have 500 miles on mine and all is well.I feel alot of people that have problems run the large tires.I do know anything can have problems.Two rubis we have seen have so it CAN happen to any machine.The only thing I have heard consistently about the Rincon is the poor enging braking.That was a factor in me not buying one.Some guys say holding it in first gear with the ESP helps but even the test reports gig it for this.There are other reasons that pushed me to the 650p.The rear sealed brake and the locker set up on the frt diff.VERY NICE.The rear brake is supposed to be good to 5k miles!I use mine for hunting and riding and I like something that leans to the sport side.The 650(now 700) engines is VERY smooth.The Honda vibrated alot at idle which I did not like.Typical of big bore singles.The power on the Kaw is very smooth and even.You can't go wrong with either but YOU have to decide what best fits your wants and needs.Good luck
02 650 camo

Old 09-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Hands down I would go for the Honda or anything else then buying the Polaris.I have had alot of Honda's and a few Polaris's the last being the 700.I really liked the suspension power and the true fwd.But I had nothing but problems.Just a few things such as the starter,starter drive,water pump,crank shaft,speedo,front tires.leaking carb,and ran like garbage in the cold. I sold it after only 800 miles and bought the new Honda 400 At. Most would consider this going down hill but I could not afford the expense of the Polaris any more.And could not take the chance on what was going to go wrong next !

My point is that I work for a Polaris and Honda dealer and we have yet to see a problem with any Rincons.I would say we have sold about 15 so far, not alot but all our customers are very pleased.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 2003 Rincon last month. It's my first ATV. I did lots of research on the net and looked at various brands and models. To me, it's an investment since I plan to keep the machine for a long time and take good care of it. I wanted something for both hunting and general pleasure riding. I only had time so far to go on two rides, which I took on the Wisconsin Cheese Trail. The trail is on an old railroad bed, so its like riding on a one lane country road. I took one 31 mile and one 42 mile round trip. Top speed allowed on the trail is 30 mph. I just wanted to get out and ride and enjoy the scenery. I only have a total of 85 miles on this ATV, but so far, I am extremely happy with it. I have yet to put it through its paces on rougher ground, but I can tell from riding it and from what I have read, it will do whatever I need it to. I also have a bad back and the ride of the Rincon is so nice, it's one less worry.

You obviously have to make your own choice, but I think it comes down to what you want to do with your machine. If you want something well rounded, then I think a Rincon will do you fine. The one consistent drawback that I have come across in my research is that the machine was not manufactured for mountainous terrain. So, on very steep inclines, it tends to lack power. I live in Iowa where a Rincon will thrive. Other criticizisms of the machine tend to be debateable, which would apply to other brands as well.

One thing about this forum, you don't always know the age of the people responding to you and how they treat their machines. But, you can still get some good advice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2003, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 2003 rincon and love it. i have about 600 miles and its my first quad. i also did alot of reserch prior to buying. the thing that made me but the honda was that everyone agreed that honda are one of the most reliable. the p650 is way quicker but not as reliable? in my case reliability is more important to me that quickness. my rincon will do 65mph, thats plenty fast for me. it rides like a dream so comfortable. the places it lacks is engine brackeing and well thats all the lows ive found. my brother has a grizz650 also faster but not as comfortable a ride to me. we both climbed the same hills so no prob with 4x4. looks on rincon excellent to me the digital readout is also top notch. what it really comes down to as with most things in life is... what are your needs vs what each quad offers. weigh them both then factor what you can afford. to me i paid more that my brothers grizz650 or even the p650 but the reliability and dependability advantage of honda was worth it to me. i have no preff for honda, yammaha or kawasaki or suzuki. ps suzuki vinson is getting alot of accolades, if big bore is not a must maybe look at them also? good luck if your like me the decision you make youll have to stick with long term....their not cheap and im not rich!!!!!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

I was worried after I bought my Rincon and read all the negatives, but since I have had it out riding I don't have any problems with it. It seems a little high geared, but i went up some pretty steep stuff with plenty power to spare. The engine braking is only good for about 8 mph, but it never caused me to get out of control, that's why they have brakes. I've had a belt drive in the past, as long as you don't get the belt wet you won't have any problems(unless you put huge tires on or try to climb verical hills in high gear). IMO, it seems to me that autos and belts are great on trails, but in the mud gears are better (just my opinion). I will say that the Rincon does have a great ride. To be honest though, if I had it to do over I would just go with a 450 Kodiak or something that size. Plenty of hill climbing power and easier to twist through the trees.