Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Oddessy? I bought one, needs an engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 04:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Oddessy? I bought one, needs an engine...

Well It ran when I bought it, but the coils wire actually broke off right at the base of the coil making it unrepairable! And I think the timing is horribly off, (sounds like its firing early) But I have NO clue how to adjust timing on this go kart! I can't find a coil anywhere, Before the coil broke I could get it to run and drive it around, but it would take about 25 minutes to get it to start. I replaced the spark plug, the gas, and thats about when it went all to crap. The pull cord broke and stuff. So does anyone know how I can either fix this or get another engine off a dirt bike or something? It is the 250cc model. Any advice would be great! And if anyone in washington has a engine over 15hp to sell to me for maybe partial trade for this one or cheap reply or email me.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

And sorry if U guys are strict about go karts and ATV's cause I dunno what this thing really is? Looks pretty off road ready to me LOL.

Old 09-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

The oddesy is definitely in the offroad category ..

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't have a lot of experience with the oddessy, but isn't it basically driven like a snowmobile? Given that, you could basically replace it with any 250cc skidoo engine with only some simple cradle mods .. as for HP, the Bravo engine produces in the range of 18-21 horse, so that exceeds your minimum of 15. You could go all out and get an 800 liq. producing 130 - 150hp .. but if your oddessy is like the ones I remember it only has balloon tire suspension .. so hang on !!!!

Regards of timing of the spark, there's not much really you can do to mess that up other than if your points got messed up. Again this is something I'm not real familiar with .. just throwing ideas around. The coil from the sounds of it seems to be part of the engine? I know on my old '80 Enticer 250 I used to have to replace the coil at least once a season .. the old 250 shakes like a ba$tard and kept breaking the wire off the coil, right at the potting side, so like yours it was impossible to fix. The last year we had the machine Yamaha updated their coils to have a little busbar sticking out with the wire lead soldered onto it. They finally got it right just as the machine died!!. I'd do a little more checking on the coil situation if I were you before I give it up for dead.

Hope this helped!

Old 09-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow 80-100+hp would be a death wish! It already spins the tires and does a wheelie! I would be able to like burnout for a block and do endless wheelies at 50mph LMAO! But anyway, I don't wanna kill myself so where do I get a coil from? I saw this one engine on ebay its really crusty but the guy is selling it really cheap maybe 100$ and It makes like 40hp it is a OLD honda engine, 2 cylinder.