Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

which atv ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which atv ????

I am 12years old, 5 foot 4 inches, and 95 lbs. Which atv do I get? z-250? 250ex? Blaster? Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Range Rover
Default which atv ????

any of the above would probably be fine for you the blaster is faster than the other 2, but it is a 2 stroke so you may have to work on it more often . my wife has the 250 ex and it is a fun quad to ride i think the z250 is very similar to the ex.

Old 10-07-2003, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default which atv ????

the Z250 and 250ex are very close, but the zook does offer a few things to put it just ahead of the ex. the engine puts out more power and i believe that it has more suspension travel. but of the three, the yam is the best for speed and acceleration, and in my opinion, fun. its got way more power, the manual shift is fun, and its faster. its also a few hundred dollars cheaper. it definately fits the description "sport quad" better than the other two. and as to it needing more work, thats true only if you treat it badly. its a very easy bike to work on actually, the only real maintenance is chain lube every few rides, and adding oil for the oil injection. the oil injection feature is really nice if you dont want much maintenance. unline many other two strokes, which use a premixed fuel of gas and oil, the blaster runs straight gas in the fuel tank with a resivoir on the back for the oil. just fill the oil tank once for every 2 or 3 tanks of gas and its good to go. its definately a better sport quad and will last you longer in terms of the performance it offers.

Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default which atv ????

Out of all of those choices I would choose a blaster. But if you want more reliability get the Z-250 or 250ex,
I would choose a Z-400 or 400ex but it is just personal preference. I do think that you would be happier with a 400 for your size. My first bike was a 400ex and I was much more happier with that than me getting a 250ex. My friend got a 250ex and it slow, underpowered and it is tippy.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default which atv ????

Originally posted by: IwannaTRX450R
Out of all of those choices I would choose a blaster. But if you want more reliability get the Z-250 or 250ex,
I would choose a Z-400 or 400ex but it is just personal preference. I do think that you would be happier with a 400 for your size. My first bike was a 400ex and I was much more happier with that than me getting a 250ex. My friend got a 250ex and it slow, underpowered and it is tippy.
huh? first of all, you dont know how much the kid has ridden, so you dont know if a 400 is too much for him, which at the age of 12, i would say it would almost definately be, not only because of engine power, but just the fact that its set up for an adult rider. which brings me to my second point, why do you say that a 400ex would be a good bike for his size? hes 95 pounds and 5'4"! im 16, 140lbs and 5'11 and i ride a blaster. although its underpowered for me, it doesnt feel cramped at all, and its a good bike that responds well to body english because of its small size and light weight. any 400 would just plain be too big. youll probably argue that if hes big enough to ride an artic cat 300 or 500 rubicon, hes big enough for a 400. well thats great, but who knows if he can even use a clutch, and the sheer size of a 400 is too tall, too heavy, too wide, and just plain too much for a rider that small. ive seen it done, but i can say that a small machine better suited to the riders size and weight can be a lot more fun than a big bike with more power, if they cant handle the power or the bike is set up too big for them.

i dont want to seem mean to either you, trx, or nebraska, but i just dont wanna see him on a 400. i think the suggestions hes made are good ones and are well suited to his size. any of those bikes would last him a long time. and as to the blaster being unreliable, thats a rumor started by two stroke haters and people who dont care of their bikes. if you take care of it, any of these bikes will last you a long time. also, the 400 costs almost twice as much as the others. he could go used, but who knows what he wants, or how much he can spend. of the three he originally suggested, the Z is the best of the 4 strokes, its more modern and has more power. theres a z/ex comparison in the latest issue of Dirtwheels magazine. the blaster would leave both of them in the dust, but thats a more sport oriented bike and requires a little more maintenance (not that its unreliable, it just needs more care) and it also has a fully manual transmission, so i dont know, its all up to the kid.

have fun and get a bike that suits you now, not something thats too big for you, i garuntee that any of those three will last you a long time and you wont grow out of them soon unless youve had a lot of prior riding experience, nebraska.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default which atv ????

i gotta agree with johnny. my son is 12 and my opinon was the 400 was to much for him so i got the 250ex for him and he loves it. ride smart not stupid.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default which atv ????

my son is 10 and he has the 400 it has a great power delivery, these riders that get on these under powered machines get in trouble in the middle of a hill and don't know what to do. we have had all the little quads they leave you out there. i've seen my 8 year old daughter roll the Lt 80 becuase she turned sharp, not a good feeling as a parent to see your kid under a quad, like that. well the honda is a nice quad for kids everything on it is easy to use and it does have power but not light switch power like the 2 strokes in the old three wheelers. if you guys haven't seen kids ride a honda you might want to try before you may a decision i'll be getting my daughter a 400 this spring, but then i will be honest both kids are bigger than there 30 year old aunt.

Trending Topics

Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default which atv ????

If you want a 4-stroke and want a manual shift you could check out the mojave.