Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Road legal quads

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road legal quads

I think quads should be legal to drive on the roads, you could go to the DMV and go though a test and get your license. I don't see why not, I know most quads handles better then most fullsize cars would ever dream of handling on the road. expecially if you had road tires. It really bothers, me everytime I see people on homemade triks, small scooters or three wheelers, that quads can't be road legalized. It makes me down right mad, just because a few people get caught on quads on the road or doing donuts or tresspassing, the goverment decides quads will never be aloud to be drivin legaly on the road. At least that how it seems. Does anyone know of any other reasons why they might not want them legalized. I always hear of people racking there bikes and killing themselves or ruining there lives or someone elses, and although there are alot of quad injuries too, I bet bike injuries out weight quad injuries a 100 to1!

The other thing I was wondering is, what could they actually do to you for, a charge or a fine, if you are a license driver (G license) you do have quad insurance that you pay for and have proof of, you have a plate on your quad and you arn't breaking the law, via speeding etc.
What could they do, I've had people tell me they went down the 401 on there quads to go to wendys for lunch and cops have stoped them and drove away giving them nothing because they all had licenses, insurance and were obaying the law.

What do you guys/girls think about this?
Has this ever happens to anyone?

No Wing No PrayerNO WING NO PRAYER

Old 10-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Road legal quads

its kinda funy you mentionthat, a friend of mine got busted by a 50 when he was ridin his banshee now he has a court date

Old 10-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Road legal quads

ive seen a sweet street legal guad on a magazine and i one seen a street legal guad at a mexican resterant and they sell street legal kits to

Old 10-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Road legal quads

this must be a canada thing becuase I live in AZ and you can make your quad street legal very easily. My dad rides his prairie to work once or twice a week. All he had to do to get it street legal was put a horn,mirrorr,license plate light,insurance and registration. There are quads all over my town that are street legal. My brother lives in Tucson and he has seen a raptor with street tires pass him on the road in town.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default Road legal quads

All the more reason why i hate the state of Illinois...nothing is legal here! I remember my buddy getting busted when he was 13 on his 250 trailboss. He got 7 tickets (speeding, no license, no helmet, no insurance, no registration, curfew violation, and one other thing that i don't remember) and they impounded his quad and charged him a few hundred dollars to get it back, and he was in court multiple times with his parents and lawer after that. Illinois blows....I think i'll move to Phoenix.

Just curious....does anyone know if you can make them street legal in Wisconsin?

-Ron-

Old 10-17-2003, 03:45 AM
Range Rover
Default Road legal quads

Chris the only state that will allow a atv to be street driven is AZ.
Most states when you try and run the vin to registar it , it will show up in there system as an off road vin and they will not allow you to registar it if it show's up as an off road vin no matter what you do to the quad to make it street legal they will not registar it.
Some state's you can get through a loop hole in the law that allow's 3 wheeled Motorcycle's there was a raptor shown in Dirtwheels a few month's ago from Cali that the guy had made a swing arm to run only one rear wheel kinda like a reverse looking 3 wheeler and he added turn signal's,horn,mirror's,diff head lights,diff tail light and was able to get it registared.
The only other place I have heard of being able to ride your atv on the street are in WV I think that some of the small town's around the Hat field/Mcoy trail's will allow it as it basically income for buissness's there.
Unfortunatly I live in one of the state's that if the vin say's off road you can not registar it.

Nicefast300ex Quad's do not handle better on hard surface's better than car's due to the fact they have a solid rear axle.When trying to go around a corner say to the left the right wheel has to turn faster than the left wheel because it has a greater distance to travel to make the turn.Car's have differential's which basically disengage's one of the wheel when the veh turns ussually the wheel that is on the inner portion of the turn.If you have a solid rear axle such as a quad does when you turn the inner wheel turns slower than the outter wheel thus causing one of the wheels to loose grip or hop then causing the likely hood of loosing control to increase.Or if you are going fast enough and taking a sharp enough turn you could snap the axle and wreck.You do not notice this on dirt or soft surfaces because the surface give's there is not as much traction for the tire's on soft surfaces to cause that much force to be applied to the axle itself.
Also if you still have a liscense and insurance on a quad and the police catch you on the street the charge would be improperly equipped veh (no turn signal's,non dot approved tire's,non dot approved head light's,non dot approved tail lights,no mirror's,no horn,no epa emmission equipment,some state's also require all street vehicle's to have windshield's) so basically you could be charged with several diff thing's if caught on the street.Also some states have banned off road veh's for the road alltogether and you could be charged for this also.And not to mention no liscense plate or registration they could poss impound your quad for either of those reason's in some states.

Basically if you get caught by the cop's you could face several hundred dollar's in fine's and poss impounded atv.

Beleave me I have looked into it I would love to drive my V Force on the street and have read all the law's here and there is basically no way to do it I have also searched the internet for many hour's looking for info on this also so I am basically SOL.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Road legal quads

West Virginia it's legal to ride on the road. My Quads are both legal by just adding a horn. No insurance or tags needed. Funny thing is you don't really need a helmet but I have to stop there.

Chris the only state that will allow a atv to be street driven is AZ.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road legal quads

I met a guy from AZ riding in my local mountains on a street legal quad. He said the rangers hassled him for a while, then they just had to give it up because you have reciprocity from state to state. He doesn't have DOT tires (like you have to have on a dual-sport motorcycle), but they don't hassle him because he only rides on the dirt roads.

I have no desire to ride on the pavement and get killed by a car, but I would like to see something like a "dirt road legal" designation. It would cut way down on illegal off-road riding if they would just open up all the dirt roads to riding.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Road legal quads

The Doctor is right about the axle but Polaris's new ATP has the rear end needed which in the future may make quads street legal and much better turning and handling on ashpalt.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Range Rover
Default Road legal quads

I looked into it in Canada but the Engineer in charge says it can't be done. Once it has 4 wheels you have to sit down inside it for some reason. They use the arguement of high center of gravity and it wouldn't handle. I tried to argue the point with him but the guy insisted that you couldn't make a stable rider active vehicle. I would just like to know how they think a 3 wheel Harley is supposed to be more stable than a quad?

Quick Reply: Road legal quads