Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

still have R, started racing, got 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still have R, started racing, got 400

Well guys, I've got allot to say with this post- most of it is really good news. Remember I was thinking about trading my R for a four stroke? Well I still have that itch for a four stroke but I don't want to get rid of the R. Some guy challenged me to a race at a local track that I had been hearing about and I showed up but he wasn't there, no big deal, but because of him I can now say that I am a racer. I have caught the bug and I love it. We race every friday night. The first time out I broke my clutch cable. I got a new cable by the next friday and I was in such a hurry that I set it to where it was constantly slipping and I burned my clutch up just doing hot laps before the race. I was really pissed, cause it was a new track layout and I was really feelling great on it, I think I could've podiumed. Not all was lost though, a buddy of mine showed up to watch and he had his wifes stock blaster in the back so I went ahead and raced it. Hey, it got me some points just for running, okay. But I had a great time. I was really wishing that the race had been on Saturday night though, because I would've had my new 400ex with me and I could've raced it! Now before you guys go haten' on me cause I went out and bought a 400ex when there are allot of other things out there, just keep reading.

Two years ago I sold my old 400ex wich has a 10.5 to 1 426 piston, port & polish, full pro meg exhaust and a few other little things. The guy paid me $5,250 for it. Well, he was in a tight spot and he never got to ride it anyways so he asked me if I wanted to buy it back. I told him that I couldn't give him what he wanted, and after a few days of back and forth he finally broke and offered it to me for $1,000!!! I said hell yeah!! I'll take it for that price and expect a big open mouth kiss along with the check!!! Don't worry, I didn't kiss him-- that's gross. But you can obviously see how excited I am. I got it on saturday and it fired right up, no smoke and he had even added a steering stablizer! It's a hauss too. I had completely forgotten how strong it was. I was completely expecting to get on it and think that it was a wife's quad. No way! This thing is a torque MONSTER! I guess I did a pretty good job on that engine after all, huh?

So now life is just horrible. I have what I think is an awesome 250R that I built myself and a pretty strong running 426ex if I ever want to enjoy a smooth, strong power band. I have a few hard choices to make though. 1. Which one will I race? Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to switch things up every now and then, or when the R is broken. 2. Should I sale one and keep the other? Hmmm, this one will probably take me a very long time to figure out. This sucks because now I have to walk out into my garage and see two beautiful Honda's along with my wife's Polaris, that's three quads man- what gives! 3. Until now, the questions have been sarcastic- but this one is real--- Should I sale both of them and slap seven grand down for either a new 450R or YFZ450? That's two questions in one if you're wondering. You see, I could sale them both and get one of the new quads, but if I did, which one should I get? I want the Honda cause I would still have a gangload of honda rims and tires, and I would already have a +4 axle for a 400ex that would probably fit it. But then again, the Honda is kickstart-- I don't want that crap. I'm getting old and I'll take electric any day, who cares if it adds on a few pounds.

Let me know what you think, or just congratulate me on now owning two great quads. Don't hate me 'cause I'm lucky, come out and ridem' with me!

JP

Old 10-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Just race em both in different classes. Congrats on the excellent deal!

Old 10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

There is only one class, it's just a small local track and it's a good night if there's ten racers. Yeah it was a great deal though, he basically paid me $4,250 to borrow the quad for two years.

JP

Old 10-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: boogerbub
There is only one class, it's just a small local track and it's a good night if there's ten racers. Yeah it was a great deal though, he basically paid me $4,250 to borrow the quad for two years.

JP
Maybe just call him back in a few months and see if he wants it back again for another year or two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Damn that was a sweeeet deal.

Anyhow I think you have the best of both worlds with that combo but I understand what you are thinking about the newer machines that are out etc, and have been starting to give them some thought myself.

If in your position I think its a pretty easy decision, and either keep them both or sell the 4 stroke to get a new 4 stroke and keep the R. that way you will still have the best of both worlds etc.

Now I have been thinking on starting a project R for a little while now and since I simply will not buy a first or sometimes second year machine no matter what mfg I have a couple years till I will be updating on the EX and figure that since the R seems to only get better as it gets older and the price levels seem pretty stable it would be a great project and later decide weather its the first or second ride etc.

I am thinking this way if the EX gets completely surpassed by the newer tech machines I could sell it and move up or maybe even make it the third or extra machine replacing the ole warrior as the lender and just sell the warrior, but now this is getting too long lol.

So either way I say keep the R and make your decision on the EX v/s the new 450's based on performance and results not the sales hype everyone is jumping into.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I still deffinately want to keep the R but I don't know if I'll be able to swing it. Seven grand is a very hefty bill just so that I can have two quads just for me. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the R, I think it will be great ten years from now when I take it out for a spin and seeing the look on everyones faces when they realize what it is. Not to mention the look on their faces when I spank their 2013 model quads with a 25+ year old quad. Wouldn't that be cool, and suck all at the same time. Let's hope that by that time manufacturers will have really stepped up.

JP

Old 10-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

**** feel sorry for the poor sap, you ripped him a new a$$hole. Just kiddin. keep em both, you never know when you'll wreck one.