Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

cops

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cops

any time cop points a gun at you there is a chance of an accident and you getting shot. being you where just on your ATV and no danger i would be suing the town for him pulling a gun on me!

Old 10-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default cops

evhwg, the cop doesn't know if your a danger or not. It is standard procedure to draw your weapon on someone who has fled from the police. The cop doesn't know why you are fleeing. He has no clue what your intentions are other than to get away from him, and he doesn't know why. So, to pretect his safety and the safety of the general public he/she will draw his weapon when he catches you. Once they determine that you are not a threat the weapon gets put away. Generaly, after a chase they will treat you like a felon. Most of the time they will cuff you and secure you and your vehicle to ensure their safety.
One bit of advice-NEVER RUN FROM THE POLICE!!! In some jurisdictions running from the police is sufficient all by itself to get you thrown in jail. DON'T DO IT!! It's stupid.

Old 10-31-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default cops

The way people are today. I would have my hand on my gun everytime I pulled someone over, If it was not drawn.
I aggree with Marty Ley

Old 10-31-2003, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cops

Warriorryder1999,

Are you implying that you were riding DOUBLE at those speeds?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

R

Old 10-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default cops

dude your a dumb@ss

Old 10-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cops

Check the spelling or lack of it on your last post.
Maturity my friend, try it.

R

Old 10-31-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default cops

when i got pulled over on my 500 i was pushing 55 down the middle of the road with no lights on and it was just getting dark but i could still see i got pulled over and i said "yes sir" way too many times and i left with a writtin warning. so i personally think you are talking out of your ***[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default cops

I moderate a forum on the ZX-12r.org site titled 'ask the cops'. We discuss running along with alot of other LE related questions regarding sportbikes and ticket issues. While I realize this is a atv forum, the same really stands. Your best bet, when alerted to stop, is to stop. You have a good chance that you will receive a break when you pull over. You can throw any thoughts of a break out the window if you run, it's that simple. Chances may be pretty good that you will get away if you run on a atv, especially if there are trails nearby. Chances are also good that you may cause an accident or hurt yourself while running, it's just not worth it. If you run from the Police and get caught, you will be also facing eluding charges. Eluding can be a criminal offense, depending on the state in which you live and the circumstances of the event. Worse case scenario, if you stop, is that you receive a handfull of MV summons and your bike gets impounded. I know that's not what you want, but you took the risk while riding on the street. It still is a better alternative to running and the charges that come along with it if you get caught. I'm not telling you this because I'm a cop. It may seem like BS if you are 14, but if you ask some of the older, more experienced riders on this site, I believe that they would agree with me. I've been riding dirtbikes since my very early days and I also have received my fair share of advice and enforcement from cops when I was younger. The cops were always fair with me because I didn't disrespect them and I didn't run. Alot can be said for owning up to ones actions. If you are a young rider reading this post, the same will hold true when you start driving. Excuses and running are for those who lack integrity IMHO.

Alot of us that are cops also ride, be it sportbikes, crusiers or in the dirt. Showing a small amount of respect by stopping goes a long way. I live in a small lake community in NW NJ. I also have a great relationship with the kids that ride atvs or dirtbikes in my community. I allow them to ride at low speed on the roads to and from the trailheads, they in return do not burn up the roads and always stop when I ask them to. Give a little and take a little works very well.

Scott W.

Old 11-01-2003, 01:30 AM
BSA
Pro Rider
Default cops

Well said.