Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do I really need nerf bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need nerf bars?

Guys I am a newbie, but not new to motosports. I got my first quad about three months ago 03 TRX400EX. Screamin Gleamin Wheelie Machine. I have been on motocross tracks and lots of trail riding. I can hit table tops with a vengeance and some doubles. (Triples I tend to shy away from) I can pretty well handle the machine. I haven't had any problems with my feet coming off the pegs. I have looked at nerf bars and I noticed that there is that space that your leg can get caught between the wheel and the nerf bar. Which scares the beejezus out of me.

Do I really need nerf bars??????

Old 10-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

I'm even newer! So, what does a nerf bar do anyway?

Old 10-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

It is a nylon safety net that goes under your foot pegs that keep your feet from getting run over by the rear wheels in the event they come off of the foot pegs when you are riding. If you look at the newer quads they have those plastic extended mudflap guards that do the same thing, but your feet can go in front of them if they come off. Breaking any long bone on your body sucks. I've personally never done it, but I have seen others that have and it is definitely something you want to shy away from.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Range Rover

I've never done any motocross, but I understand they are very good at keeping other quads out of your footpeg area. I do mostly trail riding, so for me they tend to get in the way. In the tight trails, sometimes you need to tuck a tree in by your footpeg to spin around it. As for that space between the wheel and the footpeg, the 400EX heel guard should keep you from getting sucked under the rear tire. Man does that suck.

Old 10-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

OK, mine have that. Why not get it? If the newer ones have it, its for a reason. I can see how its better.
Hey, do you know anything about jumping?

Old 10-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

We don't race competitively. We just ride them. I cna't be in a wheel chair for 8 weeks. Thanks for the info. As far as jumping, it is better to go farther than too short. Set it up so that you are straight going into the ramp, stand up a little and distribute your weight evenly, load your suspension, keep the rear wheel spinning in the air, and gravity does the rest. Quads don't get the sick air that bikes get. At least not with me on them.

Old 10-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Nerf bars are a great addition to a quad. They keep foriegn matter from smacking you(other racers, branches), as well as saving you from getting"spit out" if your foot slips or misses the peg on a landing...if you do get them stay away from steel...you will just bend them