Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Got to test ride New Rubicon !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2000, 08:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at my local Honda dealer and he let a friend of mine and I test Ride the Rubicon that he just assembled this morning.I have a Y2K Rancher ES and the Rubicon blows it away.I am not kidding,it is the smoothest 4X4 i have ever ridden,my friend has a 1999 Sportsman and he is ready to sell or trade it on a Rubicon.What an awesome Quad !!!Polaris and other belt drive auto mfg.will have to go back to the drawing board,the Ruby makes them seem Obsolete.The power dilevery is so smooth and seamless,and the ESP mode is really cool !!! My friend and i agreed that it turns much tighter and is easier to steer than his Sportsman does in 2WD.

Old 06-14-2000, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what I've been waiting to hear!!!!! Mine suppose to be here tomorrow. But, it was suppose to be here last week also. It has been killing me wondering when I will get it. I have already told my boss, when I get the call, I'm out of here.

Old 06-15-2000, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got mine today, did'nt get to ride it but an hour due to thunderstorms, but that transmission is the heat. It's hard to describe but it's a lot different than belt drive. When you pin the throtle there is no hesitation but when you let off about half you feel a fluid forward shift, I'll know more tomorrow when I get to ride it more. HONDA YOU DID GOOD!!!!

Old 06-15-2000, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

This is driving me nuts!!!! Mine is already paid for! It should have been in by last Friday, according to the dealer, but its still not here yet! Maybe today. I can't wait!

Old 06-15-2000, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I can't wait. However we have more sightings of Big Foot than Rubicons up here in the northwest. I know they are on there way.

Last night I recieved my August issue of Dirt Wheels & the article on the Rubicon was excellent.

I am jealous

Old 06-15-2000, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

You figged this all out the first or second trip around the dealer's parking lot?

Old 06-15-2000, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

I also rode a Rubicon yesterday at Jorgensen Honda in Richfield Ut, I currently own a 2000 450es and have owned 3 Sportsman 500's a 96,97,99.
The dealer took the Rubicon and a new Sportsman 500 and raced them approx. 200 yards on a mix of hardpack dirt and pavement. In D1 the Honda fell behind by about a quad length and took about 100 yards to catch up and win by about a length.
In D2 the Honda jumped out to a quad length lead and kept it the entire time, After riding both quads back to back the Honda seemed to have a little more throttle response especially in the mid-range compared to the Polaris. The steering on the Honda is very good compared to the Polaris and the 450es, very tight and an excellent turning radius. The Rubicon was very quiet you could not hear or feel anything in the transmission it was very seamless feeling. I was very impressed.

The suspension on the terrain that I rode over which was some hardpack with dips and bumps/holes was very close to Sportsman territory. It reminded me more of the Magnum 500 than the Sportsman. Overall it was a very nice ride Ill try to answer any questions. So just a summary,
It was way faster than the 450es and a little faster than the Sportsman 500. Nearly as smooth as the Sportsman alot smoother than the 450es.
it turned easier than both machines by a long shot. it was quieter than both. the engine braking appeared to slow you down quicker than the Polaris..not as good as a geared machine.

Old 06-15-2000, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

This sounds like its going to be a great machine,I hope so you Honda guys deserve it. I can only hope that Polaris is paying attention and Yamaha,Kawasaiki,Suzuiki too. As all of these could use a few improvements. Good luck to all of you New Rubicon owners and soon to be owners.
Cant wait to ride with one to see how they do.

Old 06-15-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

superduty1, I think you've got it incorrect - it is the "Polaris" riders that deserve something better not Honda!

Old 06-15-2000, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

Whats this? Some intellingent mature conversation and well wishers! I am impressed!
Thank you Polaris for upping the bar in the past and thank you Honda for doing it again.
I think its only going to get better for all of us. That new Raptor looks pretty sweet too. What a great time for the ATV industry!

Quick Reply: Got to test ride New Rubicon !!!