Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'01 Rubicon Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 04:48 AM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Rubicon Starting problem

I have a 01' stock rubicon and it never needs choke.... but this hunting season we had 2 days below zero and i woke up at 4am looked at the digital therometer i bought the day before and it read -12F!!!! I brushed the ice from the key hole and pulled choke all the way out. It cranked very slowly due to my 10w40 oil but it fired just as it does on a 80 degree day!
Odd thing is when i tried to rev it past idle it gave a loud squeel then the rumble/whine of the hondamatic took over.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Wireman,

Did adjusting the valves help you start easier???

Let us know.

Marco Polo

Old 11-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Marco.

Well I adjusted the valves today. The Rubicon runs like a Rocket. It seems to start much better also.

My Rubicon never ran this good when I brought it home from the dealer.

It was fairly warm here today in Nebraska (50 degrees). We have been having some pretty nice weather.

The true test will be when it starts getting cold. Usually by now we have snow and very cold weather.

I will then no for sure if I have solved the problem. I think I have because it started right up on the first click of

the starter after putting it all back together.

The first thing you need to do is pull your spark plug and look to see if it is burning rich. (Black Carbon Deposits on

the plug). My spark plug showed signs that my Rubicon was running to rich. Be careful of the plug, it is an Iridium

plug. It is very expensive, about 17 dollars. My intake valves were set to tight. Which means that my intake

valves were slightly open all the time. Which was one of the problems with the hard starting. I also adjusted the

exhaust valves too. The carbureator has a heater on it. I tested that and it was ok. Also my choke has always

been kind of hard to move up and down. I removed the boot and put a drop of oil on the shaft. It is much better

now.

The choke actuates a fuel enrichment valve. I also checked the valve and it was ok. I will post back to you in a

few days when it gets colder. If you don't have a service manual let me know and I will send you the pages that

you need to adjust your valves, etc.

Wireman

Old 11-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Wireman,

I am glad it worked for you also. I also went for a little spin today and it started right up. I have about 1,100 miles on mine and changed the diferrential oil, radiator coolant, lubed all cables and I am set. I have been using Mobil 1 MX4T synthetic for about a year now on all my quads, a little expensive $4.50 at Walt Mart and I believe the tranny and the engine run smoother and cooler. I remember last year when it was real cold my bikes starter reved freely and my buddies Polaris 500 cheap dino oil strugled to start. My Ruby was also running extremely rich but I put a Big Gun exchaust and a K&N filter and it all balanced out. I also turned my fuel/air mixture half turn, gave less fuel and did not have to rejet. Buy the K&N but get another exhaust. Great low end power but noisy and it is already falling apart. My next thing now is tires, I am looking at the Bighorns radials $$$. My rubber is still 50% and it is all rocks and sand (desert and mountain riding) no mud and so far no flats but I need something beefier hihi!. Do not be dissapointed with your Ruby it might not be as capable or fast as your Prairie but I bet you will get your moneys worth in the end. Just ride it and have fun. Put some miles on it they ran a lot better with more miles on them!

That's all this side,

Marco Polo

2001 Rubicon
2002 Kodiak 400 4X4
2002 Recon ES

Old 11-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wireman,
Can you send me the pages of the service manual for the valve adjustments? I need to do something with it.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 10-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

krzykjn,

Did you solve the starting problem....I am having the same problem while the other two Rubicons in camp start on two cranks...
Was it teh valve adjustment? My dealer recently adjusted my valves and teh problem started at that time....tahnks...Vern

Old 10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't tried to adjust the valves yet but huntin season is getting near. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

my 04 starts as soon as i hit the butten and i've had it for four months now.
and i have 1800 kilometers (1100 miles) on it now.
i ride every chance i get.
i see that some people dont have 200 miles on theres.
maybe the carb is gumed up from sitting for so long between rides.
also i would check your valves like the other guys said because it should start right away.
and if your valves are a bit tight like mentioned it would make it hard to start because the valves are a bit open and your looseing compression.
witch would make it hard to start.
when you prime it your pouring alot of gas into the motor so it will fire because of the extra gas.
and when its warm its already to go cause its all ready bin running and will fire easyer also.
i hope you solve your problem because i think the rubicon is a sweet ride.
and im looking forword to seeing the 05s.
i just might be trading mine in on another new one.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks mb,
It is rideen at least weekly this time of year....it starts after a few hours but not after a few days.....perhaps the fuel pump is weak and drys after sitting a while.....