Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's New Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2000, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Rancher recently b/c of the new and improved torque-sensing front differential, and today I got one of the front wheels in the air and the other one did not pull. Has this happened to anyone else, does the diff. usually work correctly?

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-16-2000, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

??New and improved torqe sensing front differential?? The other word for this is creative marketing. I haven't seen one yet that works the way they say that it does. This is not all abd though. You are much less likely to break a CV if only one of the front wheels pulls. Both of my front wheels on my sp500 pull, and I am waiting on one of my cvs to be rebuilt right now.

Greg

Old 06-17-2000, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

The only front locking diff that I trust for
now is the bombardier Traxter et all 4X4
Polaris, the rest 4X4 are only three wheels
drive. I was wondering if the new rubicon
has a real front locking diff ?

Old 06-17-2000, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget the kingquad

Old 06-17-2000, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

I believe it has the same new and improve torque sensing three wheel drive as the Rancher.
Greg

Old 06-17-2000, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

My Rancher works as advertised! I've one of the front wheels off the ground several times and everytime the one with the traction pulled me out. I bought my Rancher in February and tested it on ice, it works fine. Some guys have said to work the handlebars back and forth if the wrong wheel is spinning. Try it. If it doesn't work, take it back to the dealer.

Old 06-17-2000, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have riden with many Ranchers and they all work the sane as the 300 Hondas.

Greg

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2000, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I am curious about this AP differential also. I have read posts from people who say they don’t transfer torque to the wheel with traction. It is technically possible to make a differential that will do this. Use this link to see how.

I would prefer something like the Torsen differential to no front differential, which is what you get from those so-called TRUE 4X4 systems.

I think it would be great if some publisher like DirtWheels magazine or this web site would perform some tests and publish the results. Why not place a Rubicon’s wheels on independent rollers with the machine properly tethered and measure the torque applied to just one front wheel. Experiment would require a dynamometer for each wheel.

Old 06-17-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

What I've found is, that it will work as advertised, but not instantly. Sometimes it will allow the wheel with no traction to spin, and you will need to saw the handle bars back and forth to make it transfer torque.

Old 06-17-2000, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Is it true that the differential can engage during power slides or drifting around a corner on a gravel road causing unexpected understeer. I would hate to plow into the ditch because of this.

If you read the latest 4 Wheel Action Mag they only give the cornering a 3 1/2 *** based upon unpredictable controlability while cornering.

Quick Reply: Honda's New Front Differential