Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Local Dealer 450R

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Local Dealer 450R

its true, when you register your bike in your state you will have to pay sales tax

Old 12-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like you are able to buy many things online and not pay sales tax, you could buy an ATV from an out of state dealer and they may not collect the tax since your residence isn't in their state (taxes are collected for where you live.)

When you register your quad, you will be charged sales tax the same way if you buy a used quad and go register it they will charge you sales tax as well as registration (which is why some people [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] will put down a lower price on the DMV paperwork.)

If you are only going to ride it on your private property there is no need to register. You probably won't have any insurance that will cover it anyways so, why pay the taxes. If you are going to go to any public riding areas, is it worth the possibility that you may not be able to ride that weekend?

Old 12-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

OK, so when I buy my brand new quad from the out of state / online dealer all I have to do is convince him to lie and put a lower sale price on the official bill of sale. I get it. I'm sure he'll be glad to falsify legal documents, which his corporation has to pay federal taxes on quarterly. What pretend world do you guys live in? This is not a private party to private party transaction.

You never HAVE TO pay taxes on that purchase, even though it is probably required by law in your state to do so. That part is true. Have fun selling your quad down the road with no title and when it is stolen or destroyed don't expect any compensation.

Why expose yourself to risk over a day or 2's worth a work?? It's only $500 at the most.

Old 12-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Trx440
OK, so when I buy my brand new quad from the out of state / online dealer all I have to do is convince him to lie and put a lower sale price on the official bill of sale. I get it. I'm sure he'll be glad to falsify legal documents, which his corporation has to pay federal taxes on quarterly. What pretend world do you guys live in? This is not a private party to private party transaction.

You never HAVE TO pay taxes on that purchase, even though it is probably required by law in your state to do so. That part is true. Have fun selling your quad down the road with no title and when it is stolen or destroyed don't expect any compensation.

Why expose yourself to risk over a day or 2's worth a work?? It's only $500 at the most.
I guess I wasn't clear. . . people all the time write in lower amounts for USED sales. Yes, you do pay sales tax when you buy something used from a private party. I only live in the pretend world every once an a while! (Ease up Dude!)

Just because you don't pay sales tax doesn't mean you don't get a title. You won't have registration but, you get a title when you purchase it. Again, if it is stolen or damaged you won't get anything unless you have insurance on it. I don't know anyone in CA that has insurance on their quads. It cost about $700/year! If an unregistered quad was to get damaged in my garage in a fire it wouldn't matter. . . I can prove it was there and as long as my homeowners insurance policy covered that it would be covered. . . heck, it could be my buddy's quad and it would still be covered!

Old 12-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

No sales tax online, in most states, excluding CA, and somewhere else. Alaska doesn't have sales tax, not sure about reno. If you knew someone there you could redgister it there and then sale it for a nominal fee to yourself in another state (good comment on DMV). Canada is another issue all together. My self and a few other friends started a small business, corp., called TOY BROKERS. The corp. paper work is only around $50, if you file yourself (in az). Your business lic. (resale) only cost $15. Now we put all of are toys, cars, boats, RV, quads, etc.... into the business name. We right the payments out of the corp, but fund the co individualy with our own money/per owners toy, as if we were renting it. Now we can purchase all of our toys without sales tax, though we have to pay sales tax when we sale them. It's funny how you can sale them back to yourself for pennies on the dollars and then right off the LOSS! Some of us have REAL businesses and rent the items that way (DOUBLE DIPPING). We really did buy a 2001 36ft. bounder with no money down and have never made a payment yet. We put it in a RV rental club, they do all the work and rent out the RV for you, we get 60%, but do nothing. We have actualy made around 10,000 above and beyond the payments over the past two years. Bought a couple of 2001 seedoos with that money. Anyone following me here. I might not know tech. stuff about engines, but when it comes to Business, I know my stuff.