Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New OHV Legislation for New Mexico...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OHV Legislation for New Mexico...

I just attended a NOHVCC Workshop here in New Mexico. Every Forest Service and BLM manager was there, a few dealers, one enviromentalist, and yours truly representing the Gila Rough Riders. About 100 people all together. State Parks was noticeably absent, the Dept of Tourism is charged with this project.
NOHVCC is a great organization. IF anything is going to save N.M. OHVs from the greenies it is NOHVCC.

I also took the ATV Safety Institute course, which I thought was pretty good.

I am heavily involved in the legislative process here, and we are fighting an uphill battle against the American Pediatrics Association, Albuquerque E.R. doctors, American Consumer Federation and Natural Trails Coalition (Wilderness Society). They are lobbying for NO riders under 16, period.

We are settling for ATV Safety training for riders 10-18, and adult supervision under 16, unless they get a MVD motorcycle/ATV license, available at age 13. We are trying to get riders under 10 by safety training thier parents and making them responsible. Out of state riders under 18 must be under parents supervision.

AS far as noise goes, it looks like we are going for the 96 dB limit, which is well on its way to becoming the national standard....My son's Z-400 with Yoshi pipe just barely squeaks by.

The good news is there will be an OHV fund set up for promotion, trail designation, staging areas, maintenence etc.

New Mexico has a history of setting up funds like this then cleaning them out to pay for something else.

If you would like to be kept informed of the goings on e-mail me at alex@gilaroughriders.org and I will put you on our list.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OHV Legislation for New Mexico...

96dB plus 3dB for an "error factor" would give us 99 dB, that's not too bad, but it won't allow really loud pipes.

Riders under 18 caught without "safety certificate" could take the course or pay a fine.

Helmet law for riders under 18.

Additional protection from liability for private landowners who allow riders on their property, even if they charge a "nominal fee" so long as it is not a competitive event.

200' proximity speed limit of 10 mph. Occupied Homes, businesses or animal shelters, pedestrians, bicyclists and horseback riders will enjoy a safety speed limit of 10 mph from all OHVs. Noise and dust abatement right where it matters. Call it a "no wake zone" or "school zone", it is common courtesy.

Out of state, unregistered OHVs can pick up a 30 day sticker at any dealership, MVD, or visitor center.

replace the metal license plate with a sticker.

allow OHVs to travel off the side of the road, within the right of way, in a manner not to interfere with traffic, yielding to vehicles entering and exiting the roadway, in order to access riding areas.

All OHVs must be registered for use on lands funded in whole or in part by N.M. OHV fund. OHVs purchased for use on private land not wishing to be registered must pay gross reciepts (sales Tax) instead of cheaper excise tax (3%)

Safety training classes must allow students to take course with their own vehicle or provide an alternate vehicle for their use.

Hunters may not shoot from their vehicle unless they are disabled and have a special permit. Weapons must be unloaded or unable to fire (primer removed muzzle loaders, hammer block or holster hammer restraint for revolvers).

Hunters from in state and out of state must purchase a $10 OHV stamp and fill out a safety and ATV hunting form so they know what is expected of them, like leaving trail to retrieve large game only.

Local option on access to dirt roads for OHVs. Urban areas will not allow any access to dirt roads, some counties may allow full access, others may specify acceptable routes.

.............................................. It is a very complicated piece of legislation......and the politics of it make it even more complicated. We are providing guidance to areas we can live with, in order to keep our kids on the trails, and keep access to Forest and BLM roads.