Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RUBICON SHIFT PROBLEM THE DEALER CANT FIX

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUBICON SHIFT PROBLEM THE DEALER CANT FIX

One thing people do not realize is that all manufacturers cut the hours for warranty work to the point where the dealer can't make a decent buck. I don't fault the dealer totally... If it were me, I'd get hold of the Honda rep and discuss the situation with them.

Let's face it, Honda is struggling financially right now, and if they want to continue to sell motorcycles and keep you as a satisfied customer, they need to step up and pick up part of the tab. Even if they just covered the labor, that would be an improvement. Take a look at your local state agencies as well. I am sure there are departments that you can complain to.

YAMAHA is doing this, and has legions of loyal customers... Just don't cop an attitude with them, and give them a chance to do something before complaining to the next higher level. Just let them know that you wanted to give them a chance to help before you take to higher authority.

By the way, you can also complain to the better business bureau regarding the dealer too...

The bottom line is this, the dealer wants to keep you as a customer, Honda wants to sell you more products, and both want to keep their good business name.... the answer is negotiation and compromise.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Well guy I was saying that sounded like if the dealer did not call him and tell him that it was going to cost him 900 bucks.

Far as Honda haveing finacal problems were did you read that at I would like to see it.

He should call Honda cause what if the dealer is getting paid on the claim and then going to charge him for the same thing. Honda would check out what's going on.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

This is a friends machine and he said they did call about the harness but they replaced the shift motor on thier own (said it was dragging but could never get it to shift????). The major problem seeems to be the labor cost, they got the machine without the plastic and he had already checked all the componets and replaced the ECM. They retraced everything he had done and added a shift motor without any success so they called honda who told them to replace the harness which is what fixed it. Now they want him to pay for the shift motor that probably wasn't bad and their labor to swap it plus several hours of repetitive work that lead nowhere. He could have replaced the componets one at a time till it was fixed on his own but didn't want to waste his money that is why he took it to the dealer. Seems to me like the dealer could have done a better job of trouble shooting it, arent they supposed to have the manuals to help with this kind of thing??? By the way the $900 doesnt include putting the plastic back on. So basicly it cost him $650-$700 to find out the harness was bad. I NEED TO OPEN A SHOP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

well guy I would want to see the harness and have them tell you what is wrong with it
if it has burnt connectors then the shift motor got water in it and took out the harness
have seen alot of connetors by the ECM loose there abilty to clip on too the ECM creating a poor connection and doing the same thing
I just put a zipp tie on the connector and the ECM

Still don't think that you should have to pay if it is sapose to be a warrenty deal

If not have them call Honda and ask for some good will they have done that before for some ppl when I wouldn't have thought that they should.

Still think that you should call Honda your self

Old 12-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks cluby it is not warranty but is a bummer.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I think clubby is right, it only takes a few minutes of your time to call the Honda rep... you never know, a few well chosen words may go a long way. It sounds like Honda has been involved all teh way if the dealer throws up his hands and asks for help.

By the way, what can be done to make sure the same doesn't happen to my Rubicon? Sounds like a design issue if it is a re-ocurring issue with multiple machines.. You mentioned a plastic tie to hold the connectors together... what else? You would think they would use the click type connector that can't come apart on it's own...With all this computerized garbage on teh machines these days, it is getting extremely hard to troubleshoot electrical problems... so you can't be too hard on the dealer for their actions.

I left my new machine outside without the cover on it in a rain storm and found water in the head light assembly the next day... bummer... but it causes me to wonder. What else needs to be sealed. I haven't had this machine in a deep mud hole yet, and is sounds like I need to sit down with a tube of RTV and spend a weekend making sure things are sealed properly.

By the way clubby, it was my dealer... I have to think he is closer to the source than I am, and he has no reason to lead me astray while trying to sell me a new machine. (the new rubicon) As for the info on warranty work, I get a few industry shop magazines every month that have been quite informative in laying out the issues with service/repairs, and how the manufacturers are taking advantage of the dealers on warranty work... I feel for you guys...

I think this all harkens back to what we old timers had to do when we got a new machine years ago... we used to have to preactically dissasemble the machine and go over every nut and bolt when they were new... I guess I have been spoiled in recent years... Guess I have to go back to doing things myself.

Old 12-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm
well sometimes are hands are tieded sometimes. Far as Honda is consered stiil think that it's worth a shot to get a good will on your machine. I have hade many of times that I felt that they shouldn't have

Old 12-23-2003, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

well I know that Honda has helped ppl that shouldn't have their stuff covered, far as good will

Old 12-23-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

they had the Rubicon in 2000's was the first year