Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What to look for when buying older Honda

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying older Honda

The last Big Red 250 I bought completely blew off, top and bottom end. It's not worht fixing, for the prive of a new motro, head, components I could buy another machine. This time I'm looking for something in MINT condition. When looking at these machines, what is the most important factors to consider? I know that the motor and head should have no ticking sounds at all when it's running or else, well I know what happens [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But what else? I figuer that if the machine looks in mint condition, runs good, and not too much wear, it usually means a good running mahcine, cause the guy really took care of it. What do you all think, and what else should I be lookin at? Thank You

JasonJ

Old 12-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying older Honda

I'd check out the brakes. Make sure that they work well. Worse case is, you might need a caliper rebuild kit. Put it up on a milk crate or something, and see if the wheels have any play in them. If they do, you might need new bearings. Again, nothing major. Also, while it's in the air, grab both rear wheels, and check for play. This is to check the swingarm bearings.