Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

used 400ex??? 420ex could use your help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used 400ex??? 420ex could use your help

i have saved myself 2000$ and i am thinking about getting myself a used 400ex and building it into something nice or i could spend that money as a down payment on somthing new but it wont have all the bells and whistles i will never race and i think that modding it out will be a hell of alot of fun i know it will never be as fast as the raptors i ride with would this just be a giant disapointment or will the handling and nice shocks make up for the power diff in the woods.

p.s. this will be my first sport quad i ride a Trailblazer now..

Old 12-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Trailblazers are sport quads

Old 12-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

i think it better to buy a used quad and turn it into something better than any stock quad plus it your quad nno one else has it and you can keep up with the raptors if got the right mods

Old 12-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Trust me you dont want 420ex's help I know that guy very well he dont know crap....j/k

Jeff when do you want to go riding???

Old 12-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

hey one of my freinds has a 400ex that will smoke anything in my neck of the woods, it will smoke any stock rapter. he even beet my freinds rapter wich has the 700 kit yoshi pipe and k&n power kit. mine will even beet a stock rapter. the rapters are way to over rated and they are very unreliable compaired to a 400ex. they should be alot faster than there are considering they have 660cc's of motor. dont underate the 400ex

Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jayblazer
i have saved myself 2000$ and i am thinking about getting myself a used 400ex and building it into something nice or i could spend that money as a down payment on somthing new but it wont have all the bells and whistles i will never race and i think that modding it out will be a hell of alot of fun i know it will never be as fast as the raptors i ride with would this just be a giant disapointment or will the handling and nice shocks make up for the power diff in the woods.

p.s. this will be my first sport quad i ride a Trailblazer now..

I would say that a large part of it will depend on your continued financial situation. A couple of thoughts/options come to mind.

Finding a used 400ex for $2000 may be a little tough, but could be accomplished with a older model and a really good buy. Depending on what mods you plan to purchase. This could cost you some additional dollars as well.

Things you shoud consider.

1. Am I willing to have a monthly payment. If so, how much.
2. What type of riding will I be doing.
3. Do I need to beat my friend's quads? (for some this is a must.)
4. Am I concerned with warranties or can I afford to work on items that break.
5. Do I want to have two quads or one.

Depending on how you answer the questions, you may want to do one of the following options.

1. Buy the used 400ex. Put mods on as you can. Without engine mods you will not be able to beat the raptors. The 400ex will outhandle them on trails once you get used to it.

2. Trade in the Trailblazer and put down the 2000 cash towards a new quad. You can purchase a warranty if you like. With the significant down payment and a decent finance rate (go with a fixed rate if you can) your monthly payments would be considerably lower. Then you can get the faster sport quad, predator, raptor, YFZ450, TRX450R etc. The newer quads out of the box will be pretty fast and you can still enjoy modding them out as time and cash permit.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

PS: I'm going with Option 2 for myself, trading in 400ex and cash towards TRX450R (as soon as mine comes in).

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2003, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

its really hard to find a 400ex for 2 or under grand if you go looking for one, they're rarely listed on ebay or newspapers, just kinda have to know people and you'll get a good deal. thats basically how i got my 400ex, i knew a guy that knew a guy that had a 400ex that he wanted to sell~cheap, he wasnt realy planning on selling it so he didnt list it anywhere, it was just sitting in the back of his garage because he didnt want to ride it because it was leaking oil (loose oil line bolt) oh yeah the guy drank alot so he beat the hell out of the quad and never gave it regular maintainence, just added more oil when all the oil leaked out. That explains the former condition of my engine. come to think of it, about 2 months ago this one guy i know, nick, was wanting to get rid of his 400ex for $900, it was kida rough, needed plastic, 3rd gear, handlebars, rims, tires, grips and cables but it ran and actually had a title~he drove it everywhere and payed $500 in impound and fines, not once but twice so he was kina broke and needed the money, havent talked to him in about 2 months and pretty much everyone i talk to hasnt heard from him in a while so i dont know if its still for sale, if it is i'll PM you. starting off with a rough quad and building it up is a blast, especially if you have some moey to burn, i put over 2 grand into mine using money i made from ebay. so now i have a $4500 quad that i paid under $3500 for, it was well worth the time and money.

oh yeah dennis, how bout next weekend, hopefully the lake will be frozen enough to drive on

Old 12-24-2003, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

by the way, if you plan on refurbishing a 400ex i would highly recommend getting ebay account, saved me over $1000 buying stuff on there

Old 12-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

as for buying a new quad~a new quad is ni becauseyou know where it has been and everything is all new and clean, but WHERES THE FUN IN THAT?!?!!? i enjoyed every second of building up my 440ex

Old 12-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

im saving up my money then getting an account on ebay and buying a quad on ebay, ill prolly wait for a deal

Quick Reply: used 400ex??? 420ex could use your help