Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Extended Warranty

I have about one month left on my original (6 month) warranty on my 03 foreman 450 es. Curious if the extended warranty is worth the money? Has anyone used it? Like to hear everyones experiences good or bad. I can get a 4 year coverage through my honda dealer for $540.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Thanks, dg

Old 01-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

should be worth it

Old 01-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

go for it

Old 01-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have not used my extended warranty as yet. If you shop around you can beat the price you found. I bought mine from Garvis Honda in Ia. The were running a Nov. special for the extra 42 months for $299. I see someone on ebay selling them for $339. It is a lot of $ but I sort of live by Murphy's Law. I think it would be big bucks if I had transmission problems, etc. and not have it under warranty. Just my 2 cents worth. Here is their link
http://www.garvishonda.com/contact.html

Old 01-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I was in the exact same position as you last week...I decided to go with the extended warranty, it was worth it for my peace of mind....now I don't have to worry for 4 years....I also bought my warranty from Garvis in Iowa...talk to Kevin...he will set you up, you need a credit card however if you want to do it over the phone....

Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

I have a 2003 Honda Rancher ES 350 4x4, and when I got it I brought the Extended Warranty so I would not have to worry for awhile. The only problem I had so far was the seals leaks, after the 3 time I took it in I told them that to fix it right or I wanted a new atv. I love my Honda I have add alot of stuff. I have 700 miles on it. I want better mud tires, so that my next investment.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just received an extended warranty offer. (Honda) $629.64 for 42 months.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the gamble. If I took the money I would have spent on the extended warrantee on everything I bought, I could probably pay for a new truck. If we had purchased the extended warrantee, it would expire in Oct of this year. So far, (knock on wood), 4000 miles and 460 hours. Zero problems. Didn't buy if for our Rancher either. There's $1200 to put towards repairs. And make that $1800 when we purchase our third ATV.

When they calculate the price for a extended warrantee, they figure the average repair cost for the length of the warrantee, and add a big fat sales commission. On a extended warrantee that you pay $540 for, it probably cost the dealer $225. So on the average, the owner of a 450 es would probably pay $225 in repairs over the same 4 year period.

Those are not exact numbers, but I'll bet they are close.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I had it on my 02 Rancher that I just sold with 2200 miles on it. I used the extended warranty some, probably not enough to warrant the expense. I do believe I got my money back when selling it...it still had 16 months left on the warranty when I sold it and I got a very good price for it....I'm going to have to say that had a bit to do with it. They were glad they were buying a used vehicle for a lower price but still had the warranty should anything be wrong with it, and a pretty long warranty at that for a used vehicle. I don't think I could have sold my very ridden Rancher for that much without the warranty. It probably all worked out even in the end.

It probably depends on how long you want to keep it, how much money you keep around to repair it, etc. It seems that I only had to repair it when money was tight, so it was great not having the expense. I just got a new 300ex and am not sure yet if I am going to purchase the extended warranty myself. I think that Spectra has a point. You can spend the money now and hope you get use out of it, or gamble that you won't have to and put it towards something else. I have a VERY good dealer so I'm not so sure I need it...

Good luck with your decision

Old 01-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATVGurl makes a very good point. I would recommend the extended warranty for first or second year new models, or possibly if you put a LOT of miles on. However, the 450 is SUCH a known factor that I don't think it's worth it in your case dg, or for something like a 300EX. Also keep in mind the warranty covers defects, not maintainance items or consumer torture or neglect. If you decide on an extended warranty, make sure you are buying the Honda factory one. The aftermarket ones I have seen generally try to get out of anything they can, and some have some surprising exclusionary items in the fine print. One other thing, your warranty is only as good as your dealer. I mean if your dealer is willing to go to bat for you when it's a marginal call, it helps quite a bit. I promise you in most cases you will get more cooperation when you buy your warranty "in town". Keep this in mind when you buy your discount extended warranties from dealers who will never see you again. Since when does Ebay work on ATV's?

Quick Reply: Honda Extended Warranty