Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My 400ex took a crap last night!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 400ex took a crap last night!

I was out doing a little night riding in the snow last night. My bike would run good for a while & then just crap out & die. After sitting a few minutes it would start & run fine. Then it would die & do the same thing. My electric start was not working real well. The whole assembly with the lights was a little loose & you could move it around on the bars. I know that was part of the problem was my kill switch was being quirky too. I also noticed when it died that my exhaust pipe was red? I quit riding then & had to be towed back to my truck a few miles. I'm pretty sure I had a fouled plug among the electrical stuff on my bars. Part of the problem was the cold & I had my bike outside covered. When I went to start it to begin with most things where kinda frozen. The clutch cable, throttle cable & the starter switch. I'm going to take it to my wrench to make sure it is ok. I'm open your thoughts & hoping I didn't screw my bike up last night[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

could possibly be ice in the fuel line somewhere. Try dumping some gasline antifreeze in. Have you ever noticed the exhaust pipe turning red before this time??

Old 01-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

The glowing pipe is common, Ecspecially at night. It will glow even more if your just sitting there letting the bike run not allowing for the air to cool the motor.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Range Rover

i hope you got it on tape

Old 01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

Sounds to me, that you may have a loose ground. The kill switch simply gounds out the fire to the plug. If your whole mechanism is loose and you are not properly grounded, it can cause an electical problem. Tighten everything up. Tighten the handle bars and all the things that are loose. Try that before dumping anything into your gas tank. My exhaust is always red at night, heat does that to metal, watch all grounding surfaces for rust and or loose connections.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

I'll get to mess around with it tonight so we'll see. It's been inside the garage all night & plenty warm so I should be able to get a decent read on things tonight. I did foul my plug & I'm sure that contributed greatly to my crappy night. I'll tighten up my connections & change out my plug. I'm sure it will fire right up & be fine. I'm still waiting on my WB Eseries pipe. It was busted up inside & I have my wrench fixing it & repacking it. All the flipping snow here is keeping him at home instead of the shop. Hoping to go ride some country roads tonight. I love riding in the snow. Get all winter geared up & as long as its not raining It's plenty warm. Heck last night I bet with the wind chill it was probably 4degrees out. I never got cold except when I was stopped with my bike waiting for the tow strap. Last time I make the mistake of not carrying one of the with me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

make sure that the igniton is not getting wet, or snow around the carb will do it for sure, me and a few buds have this problem for sure.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

It could very well have been a frozen fuel line as suggested earlier, but I think it more than likely was leaning out and heating up.

Here is a little trick to try next time that happens. As soon as you notice it doesnt want to accelrate or run etc apply half choke and see if it clears it up. You can even try a little more or less than half but move it enough that the choke blocks the air flow and richens up the air fuel mix.

Last year on an excelent ride during blizzard conditions with the wind blowing across the open water in excess of 30-40 mph with temps around 15 before any wind chill adjustments both the guy I was riding with on a raptor any myself had a similar problem.

Mine wasnt as bad as I had recently rejetted for the colder temps but he was still on the summer jetting, and only one of us didnt have to push his quad in the snow. The stubborn SOB refused to use the choke and apted to use his legs instead LMAO anyhow as soon as it started to act up applying half choke made the EX run fine the rest of the night.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

Yah I'm sure it is fine. I was a little pissed last night & figured it was probably more serious than it was! I'm really not to worried about it now. I'm sure it will be fine in about 30 min when I get home! I will keep the choke suggestion in mind as I will probably be riding again tonight. If all goes as planned anyway

Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pizza914
! I will keep the choke suggestion in mind as I will probably be riding again tonight. If all goes as planned anyway
The choke can help you determine your jetting anytime aslo. If the jetting is right or too rich it will bog, if its lean it will surge a little and maybe even run better as would be the case riding in the snow on a really cold night with lots of wind etc.

Let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: My 400ex took a crap last night!