Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Give me the truth on the RINCON!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:11 AM
2TV
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me the truth on the RINCON!

I’m not trying to talk “nlafu” into a Grizzly but I will have to add my two cents to PADZZ’s comments and say that my ’02 Grizzly has been completely trouble free for the 2 ½ years I’ve owned it now, although I did break my hitch twice but then again that was while exceeding the specified towing capacity several times over. The broken CV joint phenomenon was pretty much isolated to the '03 model year. The gas boiling / sputtering issue (in my experience) is non-existent under normal trail riding conditions. My only experience with it is when pulling a heavy mower for hours at a time where speeds are limited (by the mower) to 3 mph or less. This issue has been addressed in '04 models and there are retrofit solutions for earlier models that require it (for those who work their quads hard and slow on a regular basis).

Does this mean I’ll recommend a Grizzly to everyone? Nope, it depends on their riding style. When a buddy of mine was moving up to a big bore from a Honda 300 4x4 I pointed him in the direction of a 650 Prairie. He’s been pretty satisfied with that move except for all day rides in a muddy environment where his radiator seems to eventually clog and overheat while my Grizzly keeps it’s cool.

Like the Rincon, the Grizzly is not for everyone but the Rincon (from what I’ve gathered from various ride reports) does handle better than most on the trail when pushed at a sporting pace. Where the Rincon seems to fall short is when you are faced with extreme hill climbing, high altitude situations or other issues where a lot of torque is required and as someone else mentioned the engine braking is not as efficient as many other comparable models. However a lot of riders will not face these extreme conditions and the Rincon will suit them well. It all boils down to how you plan to use your quad.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

I Have 360 miles on my rincon and for the first 25 it was a dog or so I thought. The difference in the sound with the tranny really throws you for a while. By 100 it started to get alot stronger and now I can wheelie it with a winch and all the mounting brackets on the front. I also have the exact tire and wheel set up you want.I have done a little adjusting on the carb. and exhaust but only $10 worth. My rinny will turn the mudlites very,VERY well!!

Old 01-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Different sound with the tranny? What sound?

As for the "lack of low end" you have heard of, do you think it's enough low end when I can make mine stand right up on its rack by just nailing the throttle? Or the fact that it will break all 4 tires loose (when in 4wd) on the pavement when pulling a heavy load (truck) by just nailing the throttle? It's got plenty of low end for my needs! So far when we are just horsing around, I can keep up with my bros piped 400ex for a little while but I haven't tried a full out drag race with him yet.

No low end? Yeah right!

Old 01-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

I think he's meaning the lack of the CVT whinning that comes from most belt drive transmissions.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

I have a Rincon that I put 890 miles on so far and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I have never had any trouble turning tires in the mud (before it's jet kit install). I just put on Mud Lites, a K&N Filter and a Dynojet kit and I can pull wheelies with 2 people on it! It also out handles my buds Grizz on the trails. I have stood it straight up when pulling out a friend from some peanut butter thick mud that was 2 1/2 feet deep and got the guy out (the whole time turning the tires)! Every time I go out with my friends riding (and we ride very hard) one of them always breaks down. They ride Polaris's and Yamaha's and we also have another Rincon in the group. He or I have yet to break down. If you hear bad things on the boards about a Rincon's it's most likely someone who doesn’t have one or wishes they had bought one. At least that’s what I seem to have noticed. That's my truth on the Rincon.

Let it be RED, or let it be Towed!

Old 01-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

The sound I am talking about is the engine sound that is spread over three gears instead of five. It will make you think you aren't going anywhere until you ride with someone on another bike. At least for me it seemed that way but the first time I rode with someone else and passed them with my rinny sounding like it was just above an idle that is when I noticed the difference in the sound and feel of the rinny. As for out of the crate power it is lacking due to honda regulating the emissions somewhat trying to be enviromentally friendly. That is why anyone you see braging on the rinnys bottom end power has done some carb. mods. The mods I have done to mine are simple and cheap and do make a great difference on the bottom end.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your thoughts! I have always been a Honda guy, it's all I have ever owned, but I will check out the Grizzly! Seems to me most people are pretty happy with their choice, be it a Grizz or Rincon. Sounds like it depends on how or where you ride. But I am used to riding a 4x4 utility (Honda 300 & 450 Foreman) so I don't think the V-force is up my alley. Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

I hope I can help. First a little about me, Ive been riding off-road since I was 4 yrs. old, Im now 29. Most all of my riding has been on dirt bikes, a few street bikes, all brands. Like you Ive had better liking with the honda brand. But recently ive been talking about switching to ATV's. Mostly for a more relaxed ride. Dont take that the wrong way, Iwas just used too 20ft high jumps, and needed to settle down a little. Long story short, my wife bought me a rincon for christmas this year! I love it, though i only have around 60 miles on it. So let me tell you what I think so far. Engine- this bike has changed night and day from the first tank. When it was brand new I was kneeling on the back of the seat to do a wheelie, now I take a normal seating position and nail it! The front end sky's as long as im not losing power from excessive wheel spin. Though I may not be as expiernced as some, I think the engine performance is awesome. Suspension- this is so good it makes your speed seem weak until you glance at your digital speedo and your just cruising at 50 or better, by the way ive had mine too 61mph on the flat, thats all stock and not broken in yet. As far as ground clearance, i havent tried climbing over anything yet but I have had about 5ft. of air under it and it soaked it up brilliantly without bottoming out. Low-end power is a concern if you intend on pulling an 18 wheeler out of a ditch maybe. For me and the riding I do (nowdays) it is the best bike for me, and I truly believe that you'll enjoy yours too. Happy Trails.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have a P-650 girlfriend and friend have Rincon's. We ride together all the time. She has 26" mudlites and goes very well in the mud. Yes there is no low end torque. When my buddy starts to do one of those Kodak moments is when the torque problem comes in to play. We have a big ditch we go thru on the way by one of our spots. Steep in and out. When the mud is deep and he's at the bottom looking to go up the power's not there. He does have 26" outlaws, which are very heavy. She on the other hand doesn't go thru the big ditch so no low end problem. We recently returned from Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia. Him and I climbed this coal hill very tall very loose and did I mention tall. My P-650 hooked and walked all the way up with no problem, the Rincon lost its steam about 3\4 up and I had to winch. WE are those guys everyone else stops to watch. If you don't ride this way the Rincon is a good bike but if you like ask yourself if you might be on You gotta see this, you may need to step it up with mods or another bike. I will say this I won't change from my P but the Rincon's really ride good.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

Well nlafu, whatcha buy? And are you happy so far with it? Let us know.

Quick Reply: Give me the truth on the RINCON!