Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

01 ruby wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ruby wont start!

I have a 2001 Rubicon 1090 miles 183 hours. It wont start and I have no spark ?It ran fine and is stored in a heated garage.Plug is new....Checked fuses and connections.... and it look good. any suggestions?I checked for spark by grounding the spark plug to the block.Any suggestions???what is going on w/ Honda?My 99 450 es is a headache also? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2004, 10:29 PM
mtd
Range Rover

Just a suggestion, Do like me change for a Prairie 700. Best suggestion I could give you.

Sorry pal, had my share of trouble w/Ruby's

MTD

Old 01-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

agree with mtd. when rub's get old...yea

Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Its not easy haveing a wheeler down, and catching hell for it, its not your fault, stuff happens.
this isnt gonna be that easy to troubleshoot, Could be the coil,the high tension wire to plug, or cdi unit. Could even be a defective kill switch.The plug and wire are dry,not shorting out? Does it need to be in nuetral to start? Try jiggling the shift lever around, in case the nuetral sensor is doing it.
youre probably going to need a shop repair manual, to get the information to troubleshoot and dianose this.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I would check is one of the things hondabuster mentioned, the kill switch. I have seen people trouble shoot no spark forever and that is the one item they over looked.

LMAO, that would definately cure all your problems, a new Kaw700, LOL

I guess my 01 isn't old yet, 3977 miles and not a single problem.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm..haven't had any ignition problems with rubs that I can remember. Good advice from the last two posters. Sounds like you have tried most of the obvious things. In addition to just making sure the kill switch on the bars is in the run position, you may want to switch it several times back and forth while checking to see if spark came back. Sometimes the contacts in the switch can become oxidized. By using it, it helps to clean them off. You may also try this, locate your ECM connectors (underneath the rear rack, kind of behind the finned reg\rect), disconnect the battery negative cable, release the ECM connectors locking tabs while pulling out, take a look at the connector, make sure the orange o-ring is pushed all the way down in its groove, plug back in and retry. While you have the ECM connector out, look for any wearing through on the harness where it goes around the frame in the back. Beyond that, you may have to put meters on and start troubleshooting.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:47 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

2002 rubicon. 9PM at night, 3 miles into woods. Had to be towed out, pushed onto trailer. hauled to honda dealer next morning, cussed dealer cause it had no spark and would not start. 30 seconds later and never even pulled off the trailer. guess what the dealer found??

Well lets just say I now have a t- shirt given to me buy my freinds with the name KILLSWITCH on the back.!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

Thanx for the advice...Iwill go home tonight and remove the kill switch and check for corrosionand recheck the harness.The machine has done this twice before and misteriously started w/ no explaination.the digital dash has acted up once before also.As for my 450es it has gremlins in the electrical system also.First the famous battery drain issue ..now it wont idle for long with out stalling.I had it tuned by the dealer and it came back the same.....drives me crazy......almost as if the ignition misfires......honda having trouble w/ ignition systems ??.I havent been impressed with the dealer service.....the bills have been ridiculous..so I would rather trouble shoot the machines myself as much as possible.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TIC, your friends are too funny.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Here try this,

Turn ignition on, then off, then back on
Flashes at gear position indicator::
0 system normal
1 ECU
2 shift switch
3 angle sensor
4 gear position switch
5 ECU motor (defective ECU)
6 ECU failsafe relay
7 ECU voltage converter circuit (defective ECU)
8 angle sensor, control motor or ECU
9 angle sensor or ECU
10 pulse generator
11 speed sensor or ECU
12 gear position switch or ECU

Quick Reply: 01 ruby wont start!