Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do you need permission from your wife to buy toys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need permission from your wife to buy toys?

Wow. You guys have it good. believe it or not, I just asked my wife if I could go buy some oil and carb cleaner for tomorrow. Sounds pretty bad, but she did let me get some +2 a-arms last week. I'm happy.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Tin
WOW,
Sounds like most of the guys married their mother. Need permission? I've been with the same woman 20 yrs. I've never asked permission, I've told her of my plans and she has benifited(sp) from the purchase a time or two. She rides. She has never nagged, held anything over my head, or went on a spending binge to "get back at me".
She spends her money the way she wants as well. We don't have to worry about each other over extending. She'd be laughing her $ss off reading some of the posts.
I have a buddy with a wife like some who have posted. We haven't ridden since he got married 21 yr's ago.
With her, I don't think it's money, it's a control issue. They both work and make double what I do. She has to know where he is, who he's with, etc. Everything need to revolve around her is some small way.
It might not be a money thing after all guy's. Look into control issue.
Making a large toy purchase is way different than $issing money away on gambling, alcohol, stock market or drugs.
From what I see and hear I consider myself lucky. D: D:
Tin,

Does your wife have a sister? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Marky

Old 01-16-2004, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I must be spoiled I just purchased a 04 Grizzly and a 04 250 EX Sport Trac ( for wife and kids ). Took them out one time and decided the Grizzly was to much work to jump so asked the wife how about I get a sport quad for me. She just smiled and said go ahead start looking for one so I settled on the V-Force 700. Yes I must be spoiled

Old 01-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Tin
Trailblazer

ironrod,
Yes, she has six, all are married or in long term relationship's.
It's pretty easy to deal with her, she knows my purchases, especally for toys are not spontaneous. I research, shop around, think about it for a month or so. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't.
She is too busy in her own life to micro manage mine, and I don't micro manage her's.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Range Rover

My wife loves horses. I do too. I told her we could not afford a horse, because of feed and upkeep. I talked her into a Honda Rancher AT. I told her, it sits and waits, no crap to clean up, not a hay burner and no vet bills. She smiled and said yes. The Big Bad Boy is sitting in the garage and it smiles at me everytime I open the Garage Door. She loves it. Gotta have an angle, or a angel of a wife.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Heck,

I married a woman that is 6yrs older than me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Talk about "control issues"......

But my Stubborness is stronger than her controll issues[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I found out long ago, That aslong as you aknowledge your wife's opinion and give her the respect of talking to her, you can pretty much buy anything you want. its called MARRIAGE.

Bigger.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

A while back,,,,,I had to ask my bike if I could spend time with the GF.

got that sorted out though

Old 01-16-2004, 10:15 AM
sam
Pro Rider

you better belive I do, I bought a 400ex from my brother inlaw a while back. lets just say it was a few weeks b4 I got back in the saddle. then I still got the evil eye. my bro- in law got in the dog house from his wife cause he sold it to me whith out my wife knowing. but a lot of this is because money can be tight some times, but hay prioritys come firts right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Sam

Old 01-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't have to ask permission, but will let her know what I'm buying. It's a give and take relationship. She gives me permission to buy stuff, and I take her out and buy her a new truck and quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The only thing my wife gets upset with is buying from ebay. I got burned for 40 bucks once, and she says not to buy from anyone on there. Now I just tell them not to include anything with ebay on it when they ship it. Just tell her it came from a dealer. Now I have gone out and bought brakes for my truck, and she'll look at me and ask "what do you need those for?" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
Absolutely NOT! Separate checking accounts is the best way to avoid money fights. She has her money, I have my money, and we have a joint checking account that we use to pay bills. It took me 2 ex-wives to learn, you young guys should listen to the voice of experience.
This is good advise and works well for a 2 income family. If the wife is at home taking care of more important things than working this way is almost impossible (like myself). Maybe one day if I can't talk her into more kids...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Quick Reply: Do you need permission from your wife to buy toys?