Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex help and suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 12:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex help and suggestions.

hey guys, ive got my quad in the shop at work and im doin some winter work since we have no work at work to do, lol. anyhow, i need to tighten my chain, but im not exactly sure how. i think it is some type of a cam design used to tighten it, right? and it appears that i need a special tool(some type of a spanner wrench???) to use to turn the carrier. next up, im lookin to get a lil more preformance. what carb is recommended to get a decent boost? will a good used 400ex carb work? i still have the stock exhaust so even with a carb change i may not see much gain. thanks guys.

-nathan

Old 01-21-2004, 01:06 AM
The Facility

Loosen the two allen bolts and then turn the cam backwards to tighten the chain and tighten the allen bolts back.

A spanner wrench is not neccesarily required. A large screw driver or long 1/4" socket extension will work....even a large pair of channel lock pliers. Just don't hit it with anything. If it's the stock carrier, it's cast aluminum and will shatter.

If you are running stock exhaust, a larger carb isn't going to help. The 300EX is a bit on the lean side out of the box. You could go up 2 to 3 sizes on the main jet to help a bit for now.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Like KNOWSALOT said, just loosen the pincher bolts, and I used to just shove a metal rod in and pull back to tighten. As said, the carrier is quite fragile, I shattered one when I changed my axle bearings. I wouldn't bother with the carb unless you have magor engine mods, just make sure yours is tuned right. For more power you will get a noticeable gain with a pipe and K&N filter.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

thanks fer the replies. i guess my next step is my exhaust fer performance. one day i i took the muffler off and just ran the header tube for an hour er so for the fun of it. wow! very very very loud! i could tell some increase in power too seemed like. by the way, did i say it was loud? ill play with my carrier tomarrow and pray that i dont bust it. theres a reason i dont have an exhaust and it would be the same one fer not bein able to have a new carrier if i broke this one. later, nathan.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

well i tried the 1/4 extension to turn my carrier and tighten my chain but i cant get it tight enough. tomorrow i will make a spanner wrench to tighten it. i also took my front sprocket off and cleaned it and thought i would do that with my chain also. only problem is that i didnt find a master link in my chain and i wasnt about to pull the swingarm off just to clean it. is it just the factory chains that dont have master links er are all atv chains like that?

-nathan