Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon fuel problem revisited :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon fuel problem revisited :)

Some of you will remember, a few days ago I reported a fuel problem with my Rincon, first tankful, and when I stopped the machine, fuel was running out the carb overflow pipe. I tapped the carburettor bowl, repeatedly flushed it with fuel & proprietary carburettor cleaner, but to no avail. Every time I would stop, a few seconds later, fuel would start running out.
Damn and blast, only one thing for it, the carb would have to be removed to access the float bowl.
So, out with the airbox, disconnected a few bits and pieces, no need to disconnect choke cable or throttle cable, there was sufficient slack to invert the carburettor.
I removed the floatbowl held by 4 screws and revealed the float assembly. I blew in the petrol inlet on the carb while holding the float in a fully up position and I could hear air escaping indicating a bad seal at the needle which has a rubber tip. The float is held in place by a steel pin which only pushes out one way with moderate pressure. When I removed the float and needle, there was the culprit, a piece of fibre like thread, typical of that which is used to reinforce petrol pipes, strewn through the float needle seat, so it was impossible to get a good seal. So with a tiny pair of tweezers I pulled it through, reassembled the float assembly, blew through the petrol inlet while holding the float fully up, no more air escaping. I put eveything back in it's place and turned on the fuel supply, and lo and behold, no leak, I run the bike a few times, stopped and started, and no more leaks.

So the morale is, Honda have to check the hygine of their assembly area. There is a filter in the tank, so the bit of thread didn't come the fuel I put in, it had to be in the pipe to the carb when the bike left the factory.

Anyway, Ill sleep better tonight knowing it's resolved.

As a farmer, my quad is as fuctional for me as a horse is to a cowboy. I need it 24/7.

Thanks to all who gave advice.
Will post photos soon.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya fixed it, congrats.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with this petrol stuff y'all are using... try plain ol' gas.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

Our gallon is bigger than yours - so there!
Nah nah nanah nah [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]