Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

highly modified 400ex vs. a z400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default highly modified 400ex vs. a z400?

I have never had any problems with my clutch and I beat the hell outta my quad and everyone I know with a 400ex drives them hard and not once have I ever heard anyone having to do any repairs on their clutch.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of what you think, it is a fact that Dirt Wheels had a 400EX test quad on which the clutch went out. Now argue the merits of DW magazine all you want but that is what they wrote. Also, take into considereration that the XR 400 dirt bike has, how should I say, a less than robust stock clutch. Modded XR's have clutch problems. Modded 400EX's have experienced the same problems. Since you have not had any troubles (in the wilds of Indiana) then I would have to assume that your riding area and conditions don't preclude the need to abuse your clutch. I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of guys that mod their quads who can't ride for ****, and mod simply to feed their egos. Those type of guys will never experience any problems since all they do is drag race from one party to another. Judging by your photos, I'd rank you right up there with the helmetless wonders.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

I have a stock 03 400ex and me and my bro ride hard every weekend almost. We race things that we know we cant keep up with like a friends modded 250r trike. We ride hard and we havent had any clutch problems. Our bike starts up and keeps going and going and going kind like the battery comercials. But i guess thats what you get when you buy a honda lol.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

' JUST SHUT UP N RIDE'

Old 02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Man Rockrider laying into my buddy 420ex a little hard. I have a 03 400ex it's modded with cam piston, revbox, pipe, and a lot of other goodies I haven't had the clutch fail other than a little adjusting I feel honda makes a great quad, I also haven't heard anything too bad about the Z400. You only need reverse if you are a old guy or a chick. The 400ex is light enough any man should be able to muscle it around. If you can't you shouldn't ride it. Just because you have a nice quad thats modded doesn't mean you have a ego. I'am not the greatest rider by no means. So what if my quad is nice and built, and I like to drag race and hill climb. That means I have a big EGO NO!!! it means I have PRIDE in what I own.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

When someone says I am full of **** then I would expect thet would be able to back up their claim.

As far as reverse, yeah, I'd be pissed off to since your quad cost the same as a Z and it didn't come with it, nor liquid cooling. But honestly I'm not going to get drawn into a flame war with you two. I ride super tight wooded trails where reverse is a necessity. Funny thing is I've never once seen any 400EX's back in there. I wonder why? Maybe because it is physically impossible to drag a quad backwards over mud covered, tree roots when you get hung up at the bottom of a gully. Two guys pushing pulling and a third on the quad running it in reverse was the only way to get out, short of flipping it upside down.

I just checked your pics and saw you ride the Oregon dunes. I've ridden there while on vacation and there was no technical riding to be seen. Reverse isn't needed for the dunes.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Rockrider I'am not trying to rub you the wrong way. There is alot more to go wrong on a Z then there is on the 400ex. Here is just one senerio, a stick could break my plastic but it could puncture your radiator. Plus reverse is just extra weight. I can see your point though on the riding conditions you choose too ride in reverse could be handy. I really don't care for it but I also don't need it. Sorry if I upset you I was just sticking up for my buddy.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

ROCKRIDER-If you would have spent more time exploring the oregon dunes you would have found terrain that is more than enough of a technical challenge for any rider of any skill level.I have been riding the oregon dunes for more than 25 years and there are places (tree shots) that i used to like to tackle on a regular basis that will test your skill like you would not believe so before you make a general statement like there is no "technical riding" here you might want to research your facts.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rockrider
Regardless of what you think, it is a fact that Dirt Wheels had a 400EX test quad on which the clutch went out. Now argue the merits of DW magazine all you want but that is what they wrote. Also, take into considereration that the XR 400 dirt bike has, how should I say, a less than robust stock clutch. Modded XR's have clutch problems. Modded 400EX's have experienced the same problems. Since you have not had any troubles (in the wilds of Indiana) then I would have to assume that your riding area and conditions don't preclude the need to abuse your clutch. I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of guys that mod their quads who can't ride for ****, and mod simply to feed their egos. Those type of guys will never experience any problems since all they do is drag race from one party to another. Judging by your photos, I'd rank you right up there with the helmetless wonders.

oh yea, you read me like a book, my quad ran fine but i wanted to mod it just to look like a big shot and have a bunch of fancy stickers on my quad to show how fast it is so it looks good when i roll up to a party, get drunk and stoned, drag race a few cop cars and drive home at 3 o' clock in te morning, drunk off my A$$ with 3 other people on the quad, going 65mph down a quiet neighborhood with no helmets.

ROCKRIDER- you dont know me. first of all, i wear a helmet 95% of the time, second of all, I modded my quad because it was badly torn up when i got and needed a complete overhaul so i upgraded everything while I was at it, third of all, Im no pro rider but Im above average and most likely a better rider than you.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

Your right I shouldn't have made a generalized statement about Oregon Dunes since I only saw a small part of it, on a rented quad at that. Just what I did see definitly would have catered to my Quadracer or a Banshee. That was a fun place! Completely different from the riding I'm used to.

Quick Reply: highly modified 400ex vs. a z400?