Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My Brakes Don't Work????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2000 | 04:39 PM
Range Rover

When I say bleeding the brakes I mean getting the air bubbles out of the hoses.I've only done it on hydraulic discs so I don't know how you would do it on hydraulic drums.If I still had my SX I would look at it and tell you how to do it.

Old 07-04-2000 | 04:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey cory I remember you, i've e-mailed you a couple of times.
I thought you got rid of your 200 sx???

My back brake doesn't work at all either, The guy at the honda shop said I can't use the back brake cause something is cracked.
I'd really wish I got the brakes working, It's better to be safe than sorry out on the trails.

Old 07-04-2000 | 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Your comment about the reservoir cover being swelled up brought something to mind. If your system has been contaminated by something other than brake fluid you may have a real mess on your hands.
Is it possible that you or someone else put hydraulic oil or some other petroleum based fluid in the reservoir? If so, you may have to do a
total rebuild of the hydraulic system. The two types of fluid are not compatable. A quick way to check is to put a few drops of your fluid on your finger and see if it washes off with
plain water. If it does not, it is filled with other than brake fluid.
This would entail a complete flush of your system and the replacement of ALL the rubber parts. This would include the master cylinder cover gasket, all the internal (rubber parts) and both wheel cylinder kits.
This could explain the mushy condition of your brakes and possibly the rusty stuff you described on your brake shoes. The wheel cylinders might be leaking because of swelled up rubber parts.
There is no shortcut if this is your problem. Flushing alone will not be enough because
the rubber parts are damaged permanently and will only get worse.
I have seen this happen more than once, lets hope its not the case for you because it is costly and alot of work.

Good luck !!

Old 07-04-2000 | 05:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

I don't plan on spending hundreds of dollars on my stupid brakes.
I just want them working, so trailboss i'll try cleaning my hands with the fluid and i'll post a reply telling what happened later.

Old 07-04-2000 | 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

can ya tell us what is broken on the rear brakes....they are mechanincal....usually a bit easier to fix.......the parts might be easy to find....ie interchangible with a nother honda model....someone will know (atc200es rear brakes?)

bleeding the front brakes......make sure the reserviour is full at all times, connect a bleed hose to bleed valve, the little nipple usually with rubber boot on it,down on the brake drum, on the back side of wheel cylinder. stick the hose end into a container to collect the fluid, operate the break lever till resistance is felt, then open bleed valve (counterclockwise, 8mm spanner..i think). close bleed valve prior to releasing brake lever. continue bleeding proceedure until no air bubbles are noted in the fluid discharged from bleed valve....and maybe fluid is clean too.....brake fluid ain't dear...bleeding ain't that hard to do

Old 07-04-2000 | 06:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

OK I just went out and looked at the brakes.

I took off the resivoir cover and their was all this dust and stuff mixed in with the fluid(not good) Looks like i need some new fluid(DOT 4 Brake Fluid) I took off the tires and i watched to see if the shoes still work(they didn't)...they looked like they didn't have any preassure to push the shoes out anymore.
This looks to me like I should clean out all the brake lines and clean the resivoir and put new brake fluid in and then seal as much as I can on the drum so no water can get in 'cause all I saw was rust.
But how do I clean the rust with?? I thought wd-40....is that stuf ok to clean up all the rust???

(INCASE YOUR WONDERING...WHEN I PULL THE BRAKE LEVER, FLUID COMES OUT OF THE LINE WHERE IT MEETS THE WHEEL(I took off the bolt to see if the fluid came out and it did)

Old 07-04-2000 | 06:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

PUDDING MUST HAVE JUST POSTED HIS REPLY BEFORE I POSTED MINE...ANYWAYS LOOK ABOVE HIS REPLY TO SEE WHAT I SAW(DID)

And they said the brake drum is cracked at the back

Old 07-04-2000 | 07:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

Do you guys think it will be ok to drain the tubes and put new fluid in???

I don't hear any answers!!!

Old 07-04-2000 | 08:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

Holly jeeze guys can you please answer my questions....I need some serious help here with my brakes.....did you all go to bed who were replying to me earlier??????

Old 07-04-2000 | 10:05 PM
|
Pro Rider

Guys I got some new brake fluid and I poured it in and nothing happened...still the same...now I'm MAD!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Brakes Don't Work????!!!!