Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My Brakes Don't Work????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2000 | 08:22 PM
|
Pro Rider

I have DRUM brakes and I got them fixed in February and since March they havent been working.(front)
Can someone tell me what I can do to fix them?
I took the brake cover off and their was a little bit of rust on the shoes so I wiped it off, 'cause that's what I thought was the problem but they still don't work, when I pull the brake lever only the top right of the shoe(on the right wheel) sticks out and I think that whole shoe is suppose to stick out, so I don't kniow what's going on can someone help me please?

Old 07-03-2000 | 09:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

Come on you guys must know someting about brakes....so please reply

Old 07-03-2000 | 10:33 PM
|
Pro Rider
Old 07-04-2000 | 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

rust......water in the brake drums causing it to lock u the mechanism......they are hydralic activated on the front...you sure the mechanism which pushes the brake pads is working properly....?? pushing on the top like that is how they are suppose to work i thinks....work a bit like a lever off the bottom adjusters...pushing the pad out giving adjustment when they pads wear down?.......i haven't worked with that bike for a while!

recommend freeing up with WD-45 (CRC) or oil type stuff......ideally should pull apart the trouble parts and clean up and grease, an grease the seals with a high grade grease (the stuff used in boat trailers works good - marine grease).....and grease the seal on the brake drum (the big one).....my 200sx the front brakes were all ways spongy....they fade with heat.....i think the pads were the same size as the 300 2x4 (don't quote me on that).....whats the brake fluid like?

piece of advise.....if your going the whole hog and pulling it apart, slip some new wheel bearings in too.....they are cheap and small on that model (i had a set colapse on me in flight on my 200sx)
....bearing stores readily stock em.....and keep the grease up to em (check thhem often)

question for anyone.....can putting a larger resivoiur (lever and box bit on the handle bar )
reduce brake fade on bikes with this drum brake setup....?? ie why do the 300 4x4 have a bigger resivour than the early 300 2x4?

hope this helps....feel free to ask if you have any more problems

and one last thing......when you get a bigger bike put the 200 in the back of ya shed if ya can .....keep it bike like that is getting harder to come by

Old 07-04-2000 | 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

Brake "fade" typically means the drums expand from heat in hard use, and the internally-expanding brake shoes cannot contact the interior drum surface fully, losing friction force and much ability to retard wheel rotation. Brake fade in automobiles usually occurred from extreme brake heat buildup descending long grades, or sometimes in extreme racing condition requiring severe braking for corners or turns.

If your problem is indeed brake fading from drum heat expansion from heavy use, a larger brake fluid reservoir won't help.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-04-2000 | 12:05 PM
|
Pro Rider

I just got new wheel bearings about a month ago so i don't need them.
The brake fluid looks fine but 1 problem the rubber black seal that's on the top of the brake fluid holder is somehow expanded and I mean huge....somehow it grew larger

Old 07-04-2000 | 12:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ohh yea,
And what about wd-40 could I spray that in the little cylinders and see if that would loosen them up

Old 07-04-2000 | 01:59 PM
Range Rover

If the little gasket is swollen up that means you have messed with something in the drum and pushed the fluid out.Take off the cover and get rid of the excess fluid.After that try bleeding the brakes.

Old 07-04-2000 | 02:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY BLEEDING????????

(sorry I don't know much about brakes)

Old 07-04-2000 | 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 86 200sx and I have not had front brakes ever. Just forget about them. The back works good enough. Hope this helps.

00 400ex
86 200sx

http://www.geocities.com/cory_14/

Quick Reply: My Brakes Don't Work????!!!!