Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with 440 wiseco kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 440 wiseco kit

Originally posted by: Dfitz
Where do you get this 440 piston and sleeve that dosen't need the case bored? And how much is it?
Northwest Sleeve

Advanced Sleeve

We put our kit together with whatever piston/compression you want, so price varies. Advanced's kit comes with the Wiseco piston.

Northwest Sleeve
Tech Staff

Old 02-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

heck, i didn't know about your sleeve. all i know is if the sleeve is too big it will expand when it gets hot. like other materials, metal expands when it gets hot. this makes you somewhat have more pressure on the piston if you want to call it that. the proper quench area around the bottom of the cylinder is important for heat transfer.

i honestly don't know anything about the janssen box. i do know that that white brothers and big gun boxes make it hard to start. i believe most of the boxes are xr400 boxes and this is what makes the 400ex hard to start. in summer you should be fine. in winter, you may be fine if you have a good battery. i would just try your box out and see if it starts in the cold months. if not, i would take it off and sell it. i was thinking that someone told me that they have that box and their bike starts just fine in winter, but i could be wrong. the name on the back is usually on the boxes. i know that name is on the stock box and on the curtis sparks boxes. let me know if that box enables your bike to start in cold weather. i will probally get a tc box but i may get a gt thunder. these boxes make the bike start like stock from what i read. the box really helped out on my high revving 406 motor. when it was stock, i never hit the rev limit. now, the bike wants to climb well past the stock limit. good luck

Old 02-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cals400ex
oh, he is talking about a cdi or rev box. you won't have to have that. it may beneficial but i wouldn't get anything besides a tc or gt thunder box because all of the others make the bike hard to start. believe me.
The trick with a CDI box is to find one NOT like the white brothers CDI where the ignition timing is so advanced at the bottom of the RPM curve that its hard to cold start. I only know of one box that does that is the White Bros. I've had the Big Gun box, and it is NOT hard to start. The Vortex will be out shortly, and you'll have 10 power curves to choose from. I also believe Dyno makes a multi-curve CDI as well.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: cals400ex
heck, i didn't know about your sleeve. all i know is if the sleeve is too big it will expand when it gets hot. like other materials, metal expands when it gets hot. this makes you somewhat have more pressure on the piston if you want to call it that. the proper quench area around the bottom of the cylinder is important for heat transfer...
You are absolutely correct. Our point in responding to your earlier post was simply to point out that when you purchase a sleeve directly from one of the manufacturers or through a dealer/distributor you don't need to have those kinds of concerns. After all, what would be the benefit to any of us to make a sleeve that would have improper clearances? We certainly don't go looking for trouble...

Northwest Sleeve
Tech Staff