Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r vs yzf450 ... witch one are more reliable ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r vs yzf450 ... witch one are more reliable ?

what do you think ???

Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kornholio
what do you think ???
It's way to soon to tell. I would like to believe that the Honda is based on their track record. However, the 450R is a first year quad and Yamaha has had some time to work out some of the kinks.

Both are high performance machines, relatively new and are probably more susceptible to wear and tear than say a tried and true midrange sport quad that is a few years old.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the yfz has been pretty reliable so far. Only heard of some minor issues that they are correcting on the late model 04's. Only time will tell.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To early to tell on the TRX. I got the extended warranty just to hedge my bets, but hey, it's a Honda so I'm not really worried.

My friends YFZ has had chronic problems with the water pump leaking. Dealer said they have seen the problem often. They tried to convince him that it was "normal". It is still on warranty, so they said just leave it and maybe they will get to it in a couple of weeks. (He got a similar story from a dozen different dealerships in the area!) He has had some other minor problems, but can't remember what they are right now.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:50 AM
The Facility

I have seen only 2 things about the YFZ regarding reliability. The swingarm and the charging system.

The charging system problems were taken care of quickly. The latest ones also have a different swingarm, but to early to tell if the problem has been fixed.

Way to early to tell on the Honda.

I can say that since the Yamaha uses so many of the bikes parts in the engine, the topend itself should be bulletproof. The bikes are known for very good reliability.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: reconranger
To early to tell on the TRX. I got the extended warranty just to hedge my bets, but hey, it's a Honda so I'm not really worried.
How much was your extended warantee? How long is it for? Do they give you any length options, or do you have to buy the whole nine yards?

Old 02-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
I have seen only 2 things about the YFZ regarding reliability. The swingarm and the charging system.

The charging system problems were taken care of quickly. The latest ones also have a different swingarm, but to early to tell if the problem has been fixed.

I can say that since the Yamaha uses so many of the bikes parts in the engine, the topend itself should be bulletproof. The bikes are known for very good reliability.
I couldnt agree more!!! I've only had one prob with any of my 3 bikes!!! That was the valves on the 250f due to my error in valve adjustments!!! Had my 250f is 02 with out a single prob other than that!! The other 2 have been identical!!!

Old 02-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Trailblazer

My friend blew his top end out on his yzf 450 last weekend drag racing my 400ex,guess what, i came back and beat him!!!!lol barely
Yamaha dealer took care of it though

Old 02-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: arobred400
My friend blew his top end out on his yzf 450 last weekend drag racing my 400ex,guess what, i came back and beat him!!!!lol barely
Yamaha dealer took care of it though
You beat him AFTER he blew his topend????? or BEFORE????? How'd he blow his top-end????

Old 02-18-2004, 04:10 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT

Maybe so but how are BIKE parts going to hold up against the additional stress that a Quad will put on them. I can say that the engine in the honda has less parts and is simpler so im going for teh honda. The twin sump oiling system they use will be good in the long run as well.

Quick Reply: 450r vs yzf450 ... witch one are more reliable ?