Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rancher problem, adjustment???? help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher problem, adjustment???? help wanted

2002 rancher seems as though the 4x4 is not working properly. front end seems to be not working as normal. squealing sound from the front end occasionnally. turning way to easy (not normal for constant four wheel drive)
I can see some kind of adjustment screw on the front of the engine secured by a nut with the instructions (decrease--increase) what is this and can it be the problem??
1300 miles. up till now, no problems. any help appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Edit; The sound is no longer present after jacking it up and running through all the gears.(it only happened occasionnally.) Riding it now, it seems as normal. Whats going on????
when I rode it (with the problem occuring), the gears seemed to be hitting "soft". but like I wrote, it is now running as normal. Aint this always what happens?
If I can avoid a costly trip to the dealer, it would be great. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2004, 09:50 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher problem, adjustment???? help wanted

The adjustment screw is for the clutch and has nothing to do with your problem.

It sounds like the clutch pack in the front differential is slipping, but it's hard to diagnose things over the computer. You need to jack the entire quad up and try fine pointing exactly where the noise is coming from. Bad differetial bearings also sound like you described, but they do not make the steering easier when they wear out.