Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 400AT vs Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 09:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher 400AT vs Rincon

Strange comparison eh....well, I'm getting ready to purchase one of these and need some advice. I like these two for the following reasons:

- the new "sleeker" looking body style, head lights
- Auto Tranny
- 2wd/4wd

I live in Denver...actually south of Denver...Larkspur, CO. As for riding purposes, I will be plowing some snow, little help with yard work, camping as well as some trail riding. From what I am told, the Rincon doesn't have a real "low" gear to get enough power to plow alot of snow (if necessary). Other than this issue, here are the pro's anc con's as I see them.....

PRO's RINCON:
- Bigger Engine
- More overall Power, Faster
- Independent Rear Suspension
- Smoother Ride
- Better Ground Clearance

CON's RINCON
- More Expensive
- No Low End Torque
- Heavy
- Not as nimble or easy to ride on trails???

PRO's AT:
- Less Expensive
- Good Low End Torque
- Very Nimble...easy to ride
- Essentially same machine as Rincon except rear suspension

CON's:
- Slower, not as much raw overall power
- Swingarm style rear suspension
- Lower Ground Clearance

I am sure there are more pro's and con's for both.....I am new at this so all your expertise is appreciated. If anyone has any thoughts and/or recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2004 | 10:00 PM
Range Rover

the rancher AT will probably do just about what ever you want, you don't need a real big machine to do work.

Old 02-27-2004 | 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

the rinny has lots of bottom end power, way more than the rancher it is also very nimble handling for its size. it only weighs 49 more lbs than the rancher

Old 02-27-2004 | 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

What are you talking about???? Rincon heavy and not nimble? I think not!
You think the Rancher AT has good low end torque and the Rincon doesn't? Did you smoke your breakfast this morning? lol j/k

My Rincon can plow as much snow as my 60" blade will push with NO problem. I have had snow rolling over the blade while driving through it and it still pushed it with no problem. And trust me, that is ALOT of snow!

Old 02-27-2004 | 11:08 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

LOL...that comment in all honesty came from the salesman. He indicated that when pure low end power is needed they recommend the Rubicon....I guess it actually has a very low gear (as does the AT) but obviously has more power than the AT. As I mentioned, I do like the 2wd/4wd option and although I realize there is an aftermarket add-on to do this on the Rubicon, I personally just like the look of the Rincon and AT so he recommended the AT. Is there in fact a difference between the low end power of the Rubicon and the Rincon? I suppose this would be a better comparison as they are similar in engine size.

Old 02-28-2004 | 11:52 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

In addition to my question on the Rubicon in the above post, how much off the retail msrp should I bargain for on either the AT or Rincon.....10%, 20%?

Old 02-28-2004 | 01:16 PM
mbp
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased my Rancher AT yesterday down in So. Florida. I was able to get this for $5850. O.T.D.
MSRP is $5999.
Dealer invoice is $5252. ready to sell from Honda. the Rancher AT has a 5% hold back that honda pays to the Dealer in April or October.
That's $ in the deal that Dealer makes you don't know about.

Hope This might Help You.

Old 02-28-2004 | 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I don’t own either one but have ridden both of them. We do have a Rubicon and A 02 Rancher 4X4 ES.

From what I have read, the Rincon is probably the best trail machine on the market today. People say that it is very capable once you learn how to ride it. It has no problems going where you want it to go, you just need to learn how to drive it.

I would agree that the Rancher AT “feels” more nimble. I know our Rubicon does not ride anything like a Rincon, but our Rancher feels a lot lighter than just 50 lbs than our Rubicon.

As far as the chores you want them to do, people have been doing the same type of chore with a lot smaller ATVs for years. Someone else was posting how satisfied they were with plowing snow with their Rancher AT.

I don’t think the Rubicon is “sporty” at all. It fits our needs very well and I love the trans. I love having low range (and I am not saying the others need it) and the ESP or the auto modes. I also love the engine braking the Rubicon has. I don’t think the brakes will ever wear out. In 4000 miles, they have only been adjusted once and still look great.

I am not saying the Rancher is better than the Rincon, but when I first rode both of them, the Rancher was more of a surprise, or impressed me more than the Rincon did. It might be because I like the Rancher AT’s transmission more because it is more like the Rubicon’s and I do like the over-all feel of the Ranchers.

If I was going to buy an ATV just for me, I would probably end up with the Rincon over the Rancher AT though. The power and ride would be really nice for trail riding.

Old 03-03-2004 | 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

I have an AT since August, and do love it. I can honestly say, though, that I really wish I had more power at times. The AT has performed extremely well, and has not failed anything that I have thrown at it, including snow, mud and hill climbs. It has gotten stuck in the snow, b/c of its lower ground clearance, but it's real easy to get out. None the less, if I had the money, I would probably upgrade to the Rincon. If power is at all a concern to you, I think you may find yourself second guessing if you go with the AT. If that is not a concern, then I do highly recommend the AT, b/c it is a great overall trail machine.

Old 03-03-2004 | 11:40 AM
Range Rover

both have enough power tho plow snow the 650 would be a better trail machine

Quick Reply: Rancher 400AT vs Rincon