Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon vs. Cat 650

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon vs. Cat 650

I have narrowed my search to the rincon which i have always liked but never rode and ac 650. I am a trail rider no rocks or stuff like that just a nice easy pace. I am looking for the best riding machine, need a soft cadilac ride, dont need to climb over rocks or trees. I would like to have a passenger now and then, anyone had problems with the rincon bottoming out? Also one other thing, of all the 650's or up is honda the only one that doesnt use a belt? Thanks everyone

Old 03-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

let me start by saying i have no expirence with arctic cats wahatsoever, no one i know owns one and ive never seen one on the trails here in nevada. that being said i own a 03 rincon with about 850 miles on it. the exact i mean exact things you are requesting the atv you choose to excel at are EXACTLY what the rincon excels at. of course like i telll everyone do your reaserch and homework before you go and spend the amount of money that quads these days cost. i have never had my rincon bottom out, i do mostly moderate with some extreme riding. of course most of the top atv average 8-10 inches of ground clearance. if you are truely doing trails that should be plenty. i ride with my wife on occasion and have never had a lack of power or performance with the rincon. i really do think you will be very happy with the rincon it has always been marketed as the cadillac of atvs.
good luck and feel free to ask me any questions ill answer with as much expertise and truth as possible.
take care hope to see you on the trail!!!

Old 03-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello rez 187 I wanted to ask you a couple of questions about your rincon. I am buying a 2004 rincon on the 7th of this month from BVM, Rich. And I have been told that the rincon is a dog, no guts , and can not get out of mud. Slow and has no motor stoping power.

OK , but would a 58 year old man enjoy going down a dirt trail, not through sage brush, over a small creek, not a mud hole, over a sand bump not sand mountain. My friends around Susanville like to ride and some stay on the roads some dont.

I tested the rincon on a 100 foot drive on pavement, so I dont know anything. But I wanted to be able to ride and not get tired , or sore. I wanted to feel after a ride that I could make the ride again the next day, or a few days later. Make sense?

Well dumb as it sounded I wanted to ask, it sounded like you were having fun with your rincon, and that you were not into mud, mountains, and speed tests.
Have a nice day
Sergeant

Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

tbone 79 & sergeant

I believe you guys would like the Rincon a lot I have spent some time on a friends and the suspension and handling is great you should not get tired from extended rides. For the riding and terrain mentioned it's what the Rincon was built for. Sure the engine braking is minimal and performance is not quite on par with the others but it's no slouch either and only the agressive rider would miss or be somewhat unhappy with these issues.

I believe the Rincon is the only big bore 4x4 without a belt drive. HTH

Old 03-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm 50 years old and have a rincon and just love it. I also have a prairie 650 with mods my son rides. If you want a great ride, go honda. Want lots of speed, go kawasaki or arctic cat. My dad's 72 and rides a new rincon. He sometimes does not know his limitations but loves to ride with us. The rincon has more power than some people think, but I have not found anything that will ride like it does. My dad and I can ride all day and not feel run over at the end. If you can, try one off road then you'll know. Happy riding!!!

Old 03-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer

Got a Rincon with 2500 miles on it. I am in my 30's and love it. I, however am an aggressive rider. Trying to max out the bike as much as possible. The bike can do more than I am willing to stay on the bike for. The machine is very forgiving for an inexperienced rider. The suspension work well and the bike reacts nicely when going in to corners and bumps at speeds that are way above what you should be at. I have managed to bottom the front suspension a few times, but I weigh 275 lbs. But I know others that have bottomed it out also, but they are all aggressive riders which could explain it. But it does not bottom under normal riding. As far as power, it is never enough, but where do you draw the line? Again this weekend I raced a Grizzly and he got about a bike length on a lake one way and nothing the other. I have put a K&N and rejetted also. The Prarie will pull away though but you are sacrificing ride quality. The Honda also handles a lot better than the others. I noticed on the lake the Grizzly driver making constant adjustments on the steering wheel to remain on course, not so with the Rincon. But the Rincon will do what you seem to want it to do. It is $1000 more than most competitors but that will be compensated for on the resale value. And reliability is typical Honda.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

The Rincon is the best trail bike (4x4) out there! It's VERY stable and corners very well. The ride is cadillac smooooooth. Mine has gobs of power and really rips through the trails. I think you will LOVE the Rincon for where you want to ride it. But it will climb logs, rocks, ruts, and many other obstacles with no problem.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

Lots say its slow or slower than most big bores but if you read the Atv Action Mag shootout the Rincon came in third place behind the Grizzly and Praire in terms of speed. It also beat the Arctic Cat 650 in the drag race times posted in the Magazine. Also it was only clips behind the Grizz and Prairie in the drag race. So how slow could it be?

Old 03-06-2004, 04:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is the rincon the only atv in the 600+ class that doesnt use belt drive?

Old 03-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Range Rover

Yes, it is the only one that does not use a belt drive.

It just depends what you want the bike for. If all you want is speed and a raise hell bike that can do serious work also then the Prairie would be better suited than any of the others.

If you need massive ground clearance IRS or mudding capability I would say the Arctic Cat or one of the Sportsman lines.

An all around quad that excells in trail riding, handling, IRS, looks, quality and has no belt then its the Rincon hands down.

Quick Reply: Rincon vs. Cat 650