Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RACERS, what's the most important thing too you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2000, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

List what kind of racing you do....What you ride....and what 3 things are the most important too you.

District 23(Minnesota)HareScramble/Cross Country Series.
I ride a 00'TC Racing 300EX

1. Handling -- (low center of gravity, tires, suspension)
2. Weight -- (get everything as light weight as possible)
3. Power -- (more than stock, but keep it reliable)

I think that the race is won in the corners. Endurance is also the key.

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

Old 07-11-2000, 01:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid-east harescrambles.
I think tires should be as new as you can afford.
Suspension should be a priority over motor mods.
Motor should be enough to keep your momentum up without alot of shifting.
Practice as much as possible on as much terrain as possible.(you never know what you can get into on the course.)
Stock up on constantly abused items, i.e. brakes,
filters, tires. Also, when you can make it on your own, don't buy someone elses. Case in point, my footpegs= 2" wide with 35 degree up turn sharpened teeth. Made by me, stronger than the bolt ons.

Have Fun.
Woodrider400.....2000 400ex ac skids, ac bumper w/ mudscreen, works triples, stock rear,23" holeshots out front w/side ***** cut off, 20" holeshot xc out back. Renthal trx bend handlebars.
pep e-z clutch. nac's brake block-off.

Old 07-11-2000, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

TT, Flattrack.(1988 250R) The most important thing to me is having a blast and shooting it with all the other racers there.

As far as for flattrack, (1) traction, (2) usable power, (3) reliability. If you have these three things and talent you will win alot.

Old 07-11-2000, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Weight. Weight will help handling jumping and acceleration.

Old 07-11-2000, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I race in the MX series here in New England.

The 3 most important things in a race. This was tough. There are a lot of variables that I found over the last 1 ½ years of racing that makes a large difference.

1. Skill – This is the most important item a rider can have. Without it, the rider can only dream of being in the front. I think there are two parts to having skills. First is a practice type. Knowing how to jump, how to pass, how to hit the whoops. The basics that you learn from practice and watching people better than yourself. The second part is what I call “*****.” I have been passed and passed other riders due to this “skill level” As the saying goes, if you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

2. Handling – Without this two thing may happen. First the rider will become fatigued. Going fast on a quad that can not handle properly, takes a lot of physical and mental energy. The other thing that will happen is a crash. Both things will but you in the back of the pack.

3. Power – For the almighty holeshot. It is a lot easier to stay in the front than to work your way up there. I would rather try and keep some one behind me, than try to find a way to get around them.

There is just so much that goes into wining a race. The rider with the best combination of all the factors on that given day, will win.

Old 07-11-2000, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

LASHER,
I totally agree with you. Skill plays a huge part in racing. I had an opportunity to race in the Parts Unlimited/Pace/Moose Offroad Cross Country Championship series. There are Pro's that travel the country that are dedicated too only this series. During the actual race, you could tell who the Pro's were, and who all of the weekend warriors were just by watching them. Pro's who eat, sleep, and live quads 24/7. And the rest of us that day-dream about getting a chance to get out and ride this week if work/family/wife allow it. Skill is everything.

My favorite part is 5 seconds before the flag drops too start the race. Boy is my heart pounding!!!! It's great too feel alive.....

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

Old 07-11-2000, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

you guys mite find this funny but I race my recon on MX tracks and do pretty good. The most important thing to me is handling(thats the way I win most of the time).

Old 07-14-2000, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

1. the most important part is feeling right. if your not "with it" on race day you (I) make more mistakes. sometimes broken bones even.

2. tires

3. good suspension

mx
250x and 250r (depending on which one is running)