Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bought a new Foreman - Extended Service??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a new Foreman - Extended Service??

I bought a new 2004 Honda Foreman ES 450 last night. The sales manager tried to get me to buy an extended service warranty from Honda for 500.00 more. It would cover an additional 42 months for a total of 48 months. I didnt bite last night, but I can purchase it anytime in the next six months. Does anyone have experience with this extended service plan? Is it worth it? The price seemed a little steep, any suggestions for another place to buy one? Do I really even need one? I financed for a total of 48 months, so it would be nice to be covered the entire length of the loan.

While we're at it, I might as well ask about snow plow systems and winches. What's good? How Much? Where to buy?

Thanks.

By the way, I got my Foreman at Tom Clark Honda in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania. They showed some real integrity with my deal and their prices. Definately two thumbs up for them.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ask what specificly wont be covered, and how much the per visit deductable is. Usually once you figure out the fine print, you realize what a rip off it is. And then realize, youll be dealing with a service manager and not a saleman, and every thing that goes wrong, could be blamed on abuse , and then it wont be covered.
Ever wonder why every time you buy something, the sales person pushes the extended warentee? Thats where the money(for them) is. If it was a good deal for you...would they push so hard? Look at how hard they fight for the last 50 bucks on the sales price, yet on the extended warentee they are looking out for you?
My two cents...if it cant make it thru the 6 month warentee, with out a problem, its gone. If its problem free...ive got that 500 bucks in my pocket.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Extended warranties are clearly another way to get into our pockets. The first maintenance check is another way to get into our pockets. If something was to go wrong, would the cost exceed the $500.00 that you would pay for a warranty? Will you keep the quad for the entire warranty period or will you sell or trade it? If something was to go wrong, would it be covered by the warranty?

I did not buy the warranty. I would not have bought a Foreman if I thought something would go wrong with it. One of the reasons I bought a Foreman was because it's supposed to be reliable. Although it is a machine and stuff happens.

Since you do have time to purchase one. (They'll send you another form in a few months.) I would simply think about it for a couple months. If you happen to get a lemon and stuff starts to happen then maybe you should buy one later. Read the fine print because they do come with restrictions.

I would like to see them offer a warranty for the 5th to 10th years. They always offer them for new machines that shouldn't need a darn thing.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Range Rover

I would buy it it's just safe insurance. Especially when you go to sell it, It would look more attractive with an extended warranty. Just my opinion. I don't think that you will need to use it but only for reasle purposes.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good points are made here. I have quite a little experience with Honda's extended warranty from a tech's viewpoint. Maintainance isn't covered, some things are clearly warranty, other things are kinda iffy. I suggest if you buy one, get it from the dealership you will be getting serviced at. A lot of the warranty calls are at the dealership's discretion (especially the iffy ones), and if you get your warranty somewhere else over the mail, why should they "go to bat" for you? Honda's extended warranty is a good legit deal. However the foreman is so tried and proven, If I were you, I would consider passing on it.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

I didn't buy the extended warranty on my Foreman. I've never had any problems with Honda motorcycles or ATVs. I've had it 5 months, and have had 0 problems. It's performed flawlessly.

Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

the reason I am considering it is becasue the length of my loan is 48 months and the extended plan is for a total of 48 months, so I wont probably have to pay for any repairs during my loan. I know some stuff is iffy, but I can get the extended warranty for 325.00 from one place and 540.00 from another. Thats a hek of a difference.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Encorepete
Try e-mailing Garvis Honda in Des Monies Ia. E-mail is garvishonda@mchsi.com Direct your question to Ken about a extended warranty. They were selling it for $299.00 with a list price of $540.00. I have another month on my factory warranty and have yet to purchase a extended warranty. I'm kind of feel like some of the other guys on this forum, Honda has a good reputation why waste your money.
Your other question about plows; read what I wrote in my earlier post! I won't recommend which brand of winch to go with, but I would stick with a Ramsey or a Warn! This is just my QUARTERS worth!