Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP FROZEN Frozen Choke!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Choke

Has anybody had a frozen choke cable? I have a 2002 Rubicon and it seems that every time i ride it in deep water or wash it, my choke cable freezes. Dose anybody have a solution for this? I thought about filling the boot with grease or something like that but don't want it to end up in the carb! I live in northern Alberta Canada so it's cold alot. And this problem causes me alot of grief! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP FROZEN Frozen Choke!!!!

replaced mine the first winter after it froze and it never froze up on me again in the next 2 winters. Maybe it just isnt installed the best from the factory

Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001 TRX350FE and that's what we thought happend to ours. We took it to the honda dealer to get it fixed it turned out that it wasn't the cable but a flap inside the carb was all corroded there for we were not able to pull the choke out.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

My 02 Rancher cable was freezing up on me this winter, and of course it acted up on the friday night before a big ride. I didn't have time to buy a cable (they are pretty cheap) so I pulled the cable off of the carb and sprayed ignition drier/sealer into it, letting it soak in and working the cable, then hitting it again,etc. after about ten sprays I let the cable drain and put it back on. That was about 2 months ago and it is working beautifully! I went out to the garage the other day when it was -38 degrees celcius and it still worked like it was 20 above! Just a note to say that the choke cables are cheap, but when you're in a bind, try this. By the way, I tried it with WD-40 beforehand, it didn't work. I think it's a little to thick to soak far enough into the cable.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Put a new cable in it. The new cables are improved with a "gator" spring around the boot by the choke ****. Avoid pressure washing around that boot, or cover it with a baggy when you wash it.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Most choke cables I have replaced, when a troubled unit comes across my bench, are split where the cable is bonded to the back side of the **** assembly. You're lucky if the moisture hasn't worked its way into the choke plunger in the carb. I would replace the cable, and check for oxidization within the choke bore.

Just my 2¢

----- Gimpster -----

Old 03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

replace it, and be done with it. i have replaced mine on my 02 ruby, the new 1 is a different design, different boot, i got a cable assembly off a 04 ruby.

v581

Old 03-21-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

i've never had any problem with the choke cable on my foreman, but my grandpa has. nothin bad, it pulled out a little stiff and then wouldnt go back in. just worked it a little and it worked fine. i think that if you jsut use it every once in a while it shouldnt stick. in the winter when it gets down to like 0 degrees, i just pulled the choke whenever i parked it. that way if it froze i would still be able to start it and get it into the shop to work on it. i never had to, but i was jsut thinking ahead.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Wifes 350 had a problem choke ,it would freeze, someone mentioned that it was a problem where the cable was going into the carb, its covered with a small boot. pull the boot up and try some gasline deicer to thew it out and then fill with wd40 to force the moisture out, then replace the boot. did wifes two years ago, no more problem

Old 03-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you're stuck in the cold, you can always use the primer to get 'em running. Sometimes a clean and lube will fix things, but Gimpster's right too. Lots of times there's something else wrong with the cable. BTW, there's a collet type adjustment under the cable boot with a gnurled kob for adjusting by hand. If you're cable is too hard to pull, or it wants to fall down, try adjusting it.

Quick Reply: HELP FROZEN Frozen Choke!!!!