Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 2x4 in 'da mud

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We put a borrowed pair of 27" tri ply's on my RancherES2x4 and went out with a bunch of 4x4's in the swamps. I couldn't believe how well it did. I could actually do more than several other 4x4's the had stock or "not quite as good" mud tires. I left the stock fronts on and it jacked it up like a funny car. Before this I was pretty bummed that I didn't have a 4x4 but now... I'm gonna get some tires and wheels just for mud and that's going to do just fine for when I want to hit the deep mud.
Even though it did well, I would not attempt it without having someone to pull me out. But then you wouldn't want to do that anyway....

Old 07-17-2000, 12:02 PM
Range Rover

Where did you go? Where do you ride around here? Are you interested in getting toghether and riding sometime? There is a post that I saw your name in the where to ride section, but that seemed to be sport riders and not mudders. I dont know many quad riders only dirt bikers and they hate the mud.

Old 07-17-2000, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I went to Funwheeler with Greg Sims. That place is great. Mucho mud. I've never been mudding like that before and I had a blast. So I really have it made now. When I want to fly high I've still got the Warrior. When I want to climb the recon or the Rancher 2x4 will do. Now If I want mud, I have a lot of confendence in the 2x4.

Old 07-17-2000, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

oh....heck yeah I'll ride with ya. It's going to be a while before I have the coins for new wheels and tires but there's red river, shiloh ridge lake murray...As soon as I get the mudders though I'm going back to FunWheeler park

Old 07-17-2000, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, 27" tires on a Rancher.

Many of the quads in our club are 2wd with Sure Traks on them, & they go everywhere we go on our 4x4's.

We don't do the kind of mud riding you did at fun wheeler park, mainly just mud holes up to 20-30 feet long.

Old 07-17-2000, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

u sure u want to put all that abuse on the rearend and the motor?

for a stock rancher with 27 inch mud tire i dont believe that would be a good idea with out any mods

Old 07-17-2000, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

27s are possible on the Rancher. I have some 27 inch Mud Bugs or order from High Lifter. Jeff there told me that there will not be any problem turning them at all. I do however plan to get some performance mods in the next coupel fo months.

TexasWarrior, we are going to Rocky Ridge this weekend. A very large group of us are going. Email me at teril@quakefiles.com if you are interested in meeting me there.

Old 07-17-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

good tires make a HUGE difference on 2x4's. My friend putl 25 inch woolly boogers on his Kawasaki Praire 300 and it is night and day.

Old 07-17-2000, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

well you make a good point and I certainly have to do some research on it. I'm not sure that I need 27"/s. I do know that it really didn't have any difficulty turning them. The group I usually ride with doesn't do deep mud. We have Recon's Warriors and Ranchers. So whatever I end up with will only be for every now and then. I'll just put them on and jet out by myself to the mud hole and ride with those folks. Can anyone offer any advice on mods?

Old 07-17-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

alright I'll try to make it. Have you asked many questions regarding 27"er's on your Rancher in terms of any mods needed?

Quick Reply: Rancher 2x4 in 'da mud