Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r or 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000 | 04:23 PM
|
Pro Rider

in the next year or so i'm going to be looking into getting me a quad to race. I'm not expecting to go pro or anything, just have some fun with my buddies at the races(they all have 250 motorcycles and i'm not a bike kinda guy). I would like to be competative though. This brings me to my question. Should i seek out a 250r in good shape or save a little more cash and get a 400ex. I don't want to spend a fourtune on aftermaket accesories but I will put a few mods on whatever i get. So which would you recommend i do???? Oh i forgot, the races are Cross--country and motocross. We will do both.

so whats your vote??? Whats the strong and week points of both quads????

ANY USEFULL INFORMATION WILL BE WELCOMED WITH MUCH THANKS!!!

cart

Old 07-17-2000 | 05:08 PM
Range Rover

I have noticed both in each type of racing that you are speaking of. If I could afford to, I would have a tricked out 250r, but I can't right now so I will stick with my 400ex. I race Harescrambles and Cross-country. I like this quad, it just needs more spunk. You can spend entirely to much money on both, but you can't take it with you when your gone.

Old 07-17-2000 | 06:48 PM
|
Pro Rider

a curious question. why did honda not put a reverse on the 400ex???

Old 07-17-2000 | 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Probably because they wanted it to be considered "high performance."

As for the the 250R or 400EX question, I would say shop around. Find a 400EX, look at the price, then go find a cheaper, yet faster 250R. Then you can take the money that you saved from buying a 400EX and invest it in the R.
The 250R is a lighter quad, and it's what most of the big boys race, so that tells ya something.

Old 07-17-2000 | 09:36 PM
|
Pro Rider

The 250r is faster but does it take more "know how" to run this quad fast when compared the to EX?? Also does the 250r requiere much more maintace than the 400ex??
doesn't it suck trying to make these kinds of decisions

Old 07-17-2000 | 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the 250R will take more maint than a typical 400EX, 2 reasons, it is minimum 10 years older, it's a 2 stroke.

What many people forget is the 250R has the potential to be faster than a 400EX, but a person has to know how to care for and work on it to keep it that way. Point in case, I raced an AMA national harescramble this weekend, I out pulled the 250Rs I ran across on the straights, had enough more power to outright pull out and pass one (the others I caught on the straights and later passed in the woods ). In these harescrambles, class for class, the 250Rs and 400EXs typically turn in the same numbers as far as lap times go, either bike is very competitive.

Personally I feel the 400EX is more forgiving than a similarly equipped 250R, and should be easier for a newbie to ride due to the milder/more broad 4 stroke torque vs the hit of the 2 stroke.

Either machine should be an excellent choice, but expect to spend more time working on a 250R to keep it in top shape. I have talked to many 250R riders that are considering switching for this exact reason. It really sucks to drive a couple hours to a race just to have something stupid break, and despite what others may tell you (blowing the 250Rs legendary performance out of proportion), the 400EX is a VERY formidable competitor in just about any kind of racing (except maybe sand drags). It absolutely boils down to rider ability and who's still running at the end of the race.

Old 07-18-2000 | 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

People that are new too the sport and want something flashy, buy a new 400EX and race.
People that want too win, and are die-hard racers...pilot a 250r.
A 250r is lighter, has a lower center of gravity, and a more powerful engine. 90% of the top Pro's race them. And they are the only quad you see in any of the high-flying atv videos.
This must tell you something.
400EX = fast trail machine, entry level racer.
250R = ultimate high performance machine.
Stock vs. Stock, the 250r is faster.
Add the same mods in the same order, the 250r is still faster.
Case closed!

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

----looking for an R----

Old 07-18-2000 | 01:42 PM
|
Pro Rider

thanx for the input fellas. i'm probably gonna go for a new or slightyly used 400ex whenever i get the funds. i'd love to have a 250r but i don't want to have to work on the dang thing for hours after every race. besides i like thumpers better anyway.

who knows, i'll probably change my mind eight more times before i get financially ready for another quad

l8r
cart

Old 07-18-2000 | 02:36 PM
Range Rover

I have a 400 and now I am in a pickle, On one hand I could takes some money I am getting and get all of my shocks revalved to fit me and my riding style or I could spend the money on a pipe, jet kit, an IMS 4.3 tank,and some other smaller things. I have to buy new bars and handgaurds, also a steering stabilizer. What would you guys do? I can do either, but not both. I thought I knew what I wanted, but I can't figure it out. I race Harescrambles and Cross-country. The guy that will be working on them races the same. I hate making decision like this, but I love knowing that I can.

Old 07-18-2000 | 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

This is a change of tune for you....

I thought that 300EX was the ultimate machine.

What I usually see at various tracks I frequent is the 400EXs turning in very similar times if not better than the 250Rs on a given day (mx and harescramble), either way, it's very close. These are average people riding [b]real 250Rs and real 400EXs[b], not aftermarket bikes. I outran about 3 250Rs that I ran into in the long 5th gear straights this weekend with my essentially stock 400EX, this was not the first time.

250R's are more prevalent in racing, some reasons being they already have an established base, riders are used to them and their 2 stroke power, they have also invested a lot in them over the years. 400EX's have also been ridden by pros that have won, look around...

You have had a chip on your shoulder for as long as I can remember about the 400EX. I actually find it quite amusing that now you are pushing the 250R instead of your 300EX which you have vigorously defended in the past. How much time have you spent on both, comparing lap times, etc???

Anyway you look at it, very, very few of us are "die hard professional racers". 250R's are a minimum 11 years old, stock for stock, hp is very close, drag races are very close, lap times are very close. Most 250R's are not in tiptop condition, which allows them to be beaten by 400EXs (they are that close). You have taken part in what I was referring to as "blowing the 250R out of proportion". It has certain advantages, but has it's disadvantages as well.

PS.. I challenge you to find "average person" pics on the web of stock 250R's in higher flying action than even that shown on my website. The 400EX is far more capable than you give it credit for....

Quick Reply: 250r or 400ex