Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying a 250r

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 250r

Ok guys, you convinced me not to buy a 300ex and i am glad for it.

Here is my latest used find; 1986 250r in need of some love.

Its a ratty looking bike, but runs solid. Needs plastics and frame painted, but thats no concer to me right now. What my concern is a few engine details

1) The cover to the front sprocket is gone(i dont know what its called) and the mounts for it appear to be broken off. Is this of great concern?, Can it be fixed for a decent price?

2) It seems to be leaking oil on the same side of the engine. Not sure what exactly it is leaking out of(what its called) but it appears to be some sort of spring(??)
Is this a hard fix?

I dont mind the work that this quad needs, just wondering what these few things are going to cost??

It looks like a great project quad, but i dont want a lemon.
Its been bored once (20 over) and new chain and sprockets. Every thing else is orignal.

$1500 canadian he is asking, what do yah think

P.S. Going to look at a 92 lt250r tommorrow, for 2500 which is supposed to be in great shape. Any opinions on those????

Old 04-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Buying a 250r

Well the biggest concern is the leaking oil. The front sprocket guard is of no big concern, but i would definatly get a new one, they aren't expensive. Engines that are bored tend to have problems down the road, but if you dont mind fixing them, then no worries.

The LT's are great quads also. While i like honda's 250r better, the suzuki is still a very nice bike. Now, its a good bit more than the price you said for the 250r. I think with the money you save on the 250r, you could use to fix it up. Plastics will be aout $200 american (dont know canadian lol) and get the frame powdercoated is around $200 american also. That right there will make the bike look brand new, Some new tire and wheels. I would get the 250r i believe.

dont let others make ur decisions tho, just get some infuence

Old 04-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Buying a 250r

Thanks for the advice, umm the sprocket guard looks like it was busted off. Can a new one be put on if the mounts are busted?

Old 04-17-2004, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default Buying a 250r

mounts are not hard to fabricate. If you have any local welders, you can take the bike to them and they could easily make your mounts.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Buying a 250r

*sorry didnt mean to double post, mods u can delet this post

Old 04-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Buying a 250r

Its leaking oil from the right side case?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That could mean at one point the chain broke and hit the came making it crack. It should not leak from the right side sence thats where the stator is, and the clutch is on the left side. It is pretty cheap at 1500$$ thow! FYI, cracked cases can be fixed pretty easy. (over night)

Old 04-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a 250r

I think 1500 is a steal. 250R in Alberta are going for about 5000 in good shape. You can get new plastic for about $600. Or you can put 400ex plastic on it for about half that. I would just get a case saver and put on instead of the guard. just check for cracks around the frt sprocket.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Buying a 250r

Well i am trying to make my mind up on which quad to buy.

Here are my two options

92 lt250r

the good:
-150lbs compression
-FMF fatty pipe
-new cascade seat cover
-Runs solid(couldnt get it to idle, but just pulled out of winter storage and need to be played with)
-Tight front end

the bad:
-Needs rear tires
-Plastics are sun faded
-Very minimal amount of rust on the frame. (looks like it was kept outside for a period in its life)

Price $2500 CDN

OR

86 Trx 250r

the good:
-New top end(with recepts)
-Runs good (started right up out of winter storage)
-Know the current owner

the bad:
-Ratty looking
-The Frame needs paint (bit of rust, faded, paint chipping)
-Back plastics faded, front cracked
-Needs seat cover
-Small oil leak(looks like an easy fix)
-Needs front sprocket cover, and mounts made for the cover
-Needs rims and tires
-Needs general tlc

Price $1500 CDN

Well what do you guys think is the better deal. Not affraid of the work, just dont want to loose alot of money into a quad.

Also need a quad that can be modded to spank a banshee, yfz450

I will not be jumping or racing, just want a play bike, that will be plenty fast and decent trail manners(for a 2stroke)

Any opinions???

Old 04-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Range Rover
Default Buying a 250r

I just bought an 86 250R for $3000. I haven't had time to play with it, but it has some trouble running. Probably just due to old gas and it sitting there for a couple of years. I need to drain the tank and clean out the carb. All original except for carb,DG silencer and unifilter, never had a topend done. the guy told me he has it jetted for super unleaded/avgas 100octane low lead 50/50 mix. Hopefully i'll have some time tomorrow to play with it. Everything is in great shape. Just a small crack in the front fender. We'll see if I got a good deal or not.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default Buying a 250r

ok the oil leak i spoke of is where the clutch cable goes into the engine. I am guessing it needs an oil seal. How hard is this job?

Quick Reply: Buying a 250r