Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No Torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my bike back from being tuned up. I was riding around mostly doing wheelies and popping the clutch when all of a sudden it wouldnt pull the front up anymore. it acted like it didnt have enough power to do anything. I cant spin the tires in second gear anymore, cant pull wheelies in second anymore. And when I try to go up hills I have to go all the way down to first then hit the rev limiter before I can shift and pull the rest of the hill. Can an automatic clutch get hot and not function? or could the clutch be going out? please help, I cant go without riding wheelies for very long

Old 07-26-2000, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your account, I assume when you say, "loss of power," you mean a loss of power from the engine, not a slipping clutch. Clutches wear and need adjustment from time to time, they even wear out. If loss of power from the engine is your problem, then:

Sounds like possibly a piece of trash obstructing your main jet, or contaminated fuel, or a diaphragm leak in your carburetor (if you have a CV carb); could be carburetor shaken out of its hose (intake air leak). Could be clogged petcock or fuel lines; improperly set carb float level.

I'd: add fuel conditioner ("dry gas") to the tank; drain the float bowl with the dump tube (petcock off), then; turn petcock on and see if fuel flows freely before closing carb drain screw; check all carb hoses and hose clamps for fit and tightness; see if the slide feels "squishy" when manually raised (if it snaps shut, you've got a vacuum chamber (diaphragm) leak).

No better? Remove, disassemble, clean and adjust the carb (make sure main and needle jets clean; float set right). Maybe drain the tank and fill with fresh gas.

No help? I'd look into the ignition; plug, coil & CDI. Good luck!

Tree Farmer

P.S. If you just had a tune-up, a reputable service technician would check it out for you at no additional charge.

T.F.

Old 07-26-2000, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

The same thing happened to me on my 200 Honda.It to has an automatic clutch and the adjuster locknut came loose on the clutch adjuster.

Old 07-26-2000, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

It had engine power. it just made a grinding noise when climbing hills. and today I went to ride it and it ran fine. I could pull the front end up all the way in second and a little in 3rd where I could barely pull it up in 1st yesterday.

Old 07-26-2000, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

Thats what mine did.See not only the locknut came loose it was stripped out and moving in for power and out for no torque.

Old 07-26-2000, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disregard what I said, then; when you said, "it acted like it didnt have enough power to do anything," I thought you meant you were losing engine power. If your clutch is slipping, that's another matter.

Tree Farmer