Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Sub-Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Sub-Tranny Problem

Has anyone experinced a problem with the sub-transmission in a Rubicon?
I have a 2002 with 1300 miles. While on a steep hill, or in snow on a hill, being in D-1 and Low, the transmission BANGS HARD and pops out of gear. It happens when the quad is strained to keep going up a steep hill, or bogged down, not while it is just being driven on level ground.
Although I just took it in for warranty repair, and they have not actually taken it apart yet, I was told that it may be the sub-tranny gears and will NOT be covered under warranty! (Strings may be pulled to see if Honda would help out on some of the repairs) I am being told that the only way this could happen is by switching from D to L while moving. Well HELLO, I know this and have never done it. I spent $6500 for the quad. Do they think I WANT to break it?
Any comments from some of you Honda service techs out there would be appreciated, as I feel like Honda is trying to just get out of repairing the unit under warranty. How can I prove that I am not an irresponbile rider?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

tell them how it happend and say if you think im riding the snot out of it then you prove it.
or fix it under the warrenty.
i had my cat in for work at least 5 times and every time thay said what are you doing to it.
and i tell them what happend, and then i say you tell the warrenty people if thay dont want to cover it under warrenty i want them to call me at home and explane why.
then you can tell your side of the story and try to reason with them.
the warrenty place has called me three times and every time i talk to her she said that the dealer dident explane how it broke thay just put in the claim and then waited for an responce from them and most times thay think that the person is beating the crap out of the quad and say no to the claim.
but if you can talk to them and tell them what its doing you might be able to change there minds.
it worth a try.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like one of the shift forks may be bent. With all due respect, this is almost always due to misuse of the transmission in some way. Certain models ARE prone to this, maybe moreso than they should be. I have seen several Rincons with the same problem, but that's a different subtrans altogether. Other prone models that come to mind are mid 80's Honda V-4 motorcycles, and certain years of Yamaha Raptors. The Rubicon isn't prone to this at all. Matter of fact, the place I work has sold hundreds of Rubicons and I've seen almost every problem described on these forums and then some but I've never seen a subtrans problem. That's probably why Honda is balking at covering it. No mfg. I have heard of will cover bent shift forks, with a very few exceptions. BTW, on the Rincons, Honda is buying the repair if the machine is under warranty, but only once. In other words, the next time it's the customer's "baby".

Old 05-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

I just had the same issue today on my 2004 Rancher. I was climbing a steep hill, made is half way up, then bang zzzzzzzzzzzz clunk. On level ground I have no problem.

I tried 4x4 and 2x4, same problem. Then I tried Auto and ESP mode, same then under load the thing just jumps out of gear...or something. Just and freaken killed me the first time, wasn't expecting it and climbing a steep long hill !

Gonna yell and the dealer tomorrow.

Spud

Old 05-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses and advice. Spudnick's quad describes exactly what my Rubicon is doing.
It's still too early to tell, as Honda has yet to "Tear into it" and tell me exactly what the problem is. So i guess I won't to to mad just yet.
Spudnick, please keep me posted on this thread, as I will you. They may get to fixing yours first, and I sure would like to know what Honda told you what the cause was. I may ride a little hard, but in no means trash the thing.
Thanks

Old 05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

DD

I won't be able to get mine to the dealer until next Monday. I will keep you posted on what goes on with the repair. I know the guys at the dealership quite well, I have been a customer for over 10 years.

I also ride agressively but by know means hard. Honda is keeping pretty tight lipped at this point, hard to say without looking inside. Almost boughth the manual Vinson 500 instead of my Honda, liitle bitter now I guess after spending $9000 Canadian.

Also read rumours about recalls, but that's all they are right now.

Spud

Old 05-10-2004, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

Dust Devil,

Anything yet? Mine is going in tomorrow morning.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Spud
Yes, Honda tore it apart and there is a problem in the lower gears. Honda insists that it was due to my abuse of the "mighty Hondamatic." I still insist that I did not abuse the machine and know not to shift gears in motion. So, since I have purchased 3 new pieces of equipment from them in the past 3-years, they have decided to "Good Faith" warranty some of the labor, and the local dealer will pick up the balance of the labor. I am to pay around $200.00 for the parts.
This is all fine except for the fact that it will never again be covered under warranty should this happen again. Since I know that it was not my fault, my new dilema is...... do I trust that it will never happen again? And, since I still feel that it was not due to abuse......what to do now. It's going to cost me alot more if it breaks again.
Currently I'm thinkg about ditching it and going with something else. Maybe one of those new Polaris 700 EFI. What do you think?
DD

Old 05-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

P.S. What rumors have you heard. Where they regarding the Hondamatic transmission?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

DustD,

Yes, that's exactly why I'm thinking of bailing on my Honda...future worries. Polaris makes a good product as well. I think if you do get a new bike make sure you buy the extended warrany. I have 3 years additional coverage, it cost me about $500 Canadian..retail is $1200. The girl in the business office where I bought my bike in a friend, she gave me the good rate.

So, mine was dropped off today at the dealership. They have a 2004 Vinson manual 5 spd in stock. I may just make a deal and get rid of the Rancher, don't really care what is wrong with it.

I will keep you posted? Let me know what you decide?

Spud

Quick Reply: Rubicon Sub-Tranny Problem