Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

A lesson learned...quad riders please read.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I went riding with my best friend and both our girlfriends. We rode for a few hours and then took off down a trail that we had never ridden. After a few creek crossings, some log-hoppin, and digging through a few mud holes (so I could try out my new 26" mudrunners) we came up to a pretty steep hill but nothing I had not went up in the past. The one problem was that I was letting my girlfriend drive (she does have a good bit of experiance riding). We started the climb and made it about halfway up before we discovered that there was a rut cutting diagonal across the trail, causing a temporary tipping feeling on the quad. We made past that but as soon as we started the rest of the ascent those new tires got some great grip and caused the front end to lift. As soon as the front tires came up I knew we were in trouble, the front just kept rising until I fell off the back and looked up just in time to see the rancher flipping straight over a headed directly down on me w/ my girl still attached. By the grace of god we both walked away just a little bruised and banged up. The quad only ha d a slightly bent rack and started back up immiediantly.

Morale: Don't take anything for granted, if a difficult trail section needs to be crossed, dismount the pasenger and let the experianced rider take the quad up. A little walk never hurt anybody.

Old 07-28-2000, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad no one was seriously injured, DeadEye, but--for information, were you both, you and your girlfriend, helmeted? One moral drawn from your tale might be, double riding can pose consequences (illegal in my state, a law sometimes observed in breach, however).

Tree Farmer

Old 07-28-2000, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

Riding double did not help any.

Old 07-28-2000, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not to push the manual, but, riding passangers is not really a good idea. My wife and I have riden doubles before but I don't like the feeling of balance. I can defintely feel that the balance is off with the two of us. You lose a lot of manuverability with doubles. They put those warnings on there for a reason and that is usually because somebody was either hurt or killed doing it....Just worried about your safety not the rules...<g> Happy riding!!!

Chris

Old 07-28-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

double is dangerous i do it but anything rough i make her get off actually she usually sugests it. That is what i bought the SP for the weight it is so heavy it takes allot to get it off balance when riding double. but she is getting her own soon.

Old 07-28-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

double is dangerous i do it but anything rough i make her get off actually she usually sugests it. That is what i bought the SP for the weight it is so heavy it takes allot to get it off balance when riding double. but she is getting her own soon.

Old 07-28-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

If I ever have to ride double and have to go up a hill then passanger has to hike. And I always wear a helmet weather it's on my street bike or on my quad...might not look cool...but oh well.
Luckily you didn't get hurt. Also, since you probably weight more than your GF that probably helped you go over too. Drew

Old 07-28-2000, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Riding with 2 people is bad..but 3 is even worse.

I was riding 2 other friends on my Old Fourtrax 250.

It was roomy..one sit on the rack and one behind me.

We rode all day like this with no troubles. Actually we just went from my house to his house(so no hard riding..just gravel roads). But we had to cut across this trail to get to his house. Well there was this little ditch with about a foot of water in it. No problem. Well we went down in..came up the guy on the back fell off and when he did it just threw the whole atv off balance, it went to left hit a mound of dirt, dumped both of us off and i fell on beside my friend and i had my foot on the foot peg trying to keep the 4-wheeler from falling on us.

I learned my lesson there..i'll never ride with anyone on the back again. And none of us had helments on. I guess i should of learned my lesson then and not on the blaster about helments.

Old 07-28-2000, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

LUcky, Lucky, neither of you were hurt. I hope you both had on helmets. Maybe I am conservative, but 90% of the adult male riders in our club do NOT were a helmet. Maybe its a macho thing.

Old 07-28-2000, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm happy no one was injured. I have 2 stories to tell myself. Before I had my Recon and 300ex, when the TRX125 still ran, my cousin and I tried going up a hill with us 2 and we couldnt make it. But since the TRX125 has 0 power it just started rolling back and I got off, and ran with the quad up the hill with no one on it. (I've had to do that a few times when I felt the quad couldnt do it alone especially side ways on a hill).

Another time I was force to have 4 on the TRX125. Me as the rider. 2 guys on the rear rack, and 1 on the front. I was just transporting these guys to the other side of the farm. I'd never do this with my RECON/300EX which I love.

Quick Reply: A lesson learned...quad riders please read.