Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

why should 4 wheelers be aloud on the roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why should 4 wheelers be aloud on the roads

I haven't seen one post about the solid rear axle and it's safety and stability on a paved road... any takers?

Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

I live in PA and your can ride on the side of the road 5 to 10 mile an hour in low rev... Cops and people dopne get mad if you do but i got them idiots going down my road topped out. Crotch rockets make so much more noise then my atv and harleys.. And i think i have one of the loudest pipes on there. You just have to talk to the right cops and be friends with them.. Be respectful

Old 05-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: glenfoto
I haven't seen one post about the solid rear axle and it's safety and stability on a paved road... any takers?
it has to do with the fact that both your wheels are always turning at the same speed, in reality to corner safely the outside wheel needs to turn faster because it has to travel further, this is why you have a diferential on a car,

a fixed rear axle will always try and push the quad forward and this has an effect on your ability to turn cos its always fighting your front wheels,

Old 05-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

ATV's are allowed on the road in some states. Take Arizona for example. You can take any stock quad with working front/tail lights, register, insure it, add a rear view mirror and a horn and your set. You do not need special tires or turn signals. The reality is that most people do not take their sport quads and make them street legal in the urban areas in the state. Most of the people that do, are ranchers, hunters, and people who like in the less populated places. So if you really felt like it, you could cruise down I-10 in Phoenix with your street legal quad. I've seen them before, there's a few raptors and banshees that cruise-legally down the street. For most people in the Phoenix-metro area, the value in making your off-road ATV street legal is not to wave at the cops when you drive by, but to go a short distance to your favorite riding area, if you are so lucky to live close by to one.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

I think quads should be allowed on roads. They allow everything else on roads for god sakes. Those new electric scooters are up and down
the road constantly and the cops don't do anything so I assume it's okay. Many states even let go-karts on the road. Agreed, the handling of a quad
can be difficult on blacktop at cruising speed, so all you have to do is not be stupid. In Wisconsin, we can ride on almost ANY gravel road we want
which is nice. But there are always a few highways we have to go down to get to where we are going. Farmers ride their quads on the road constantly
without trouble at all. Granted they only go 1/2 mile at about 40 mph or so and goto the shoulder when cars come and stay at a slow speed til they pass.
I honestly can't see the problem going 55mph down a road with a quad. I've done it so many times it isn't even funny...there is to handling problem
or problem of being not stable at all. But I guess that can vary from quad to quad. As long as you have a headlight with hi/lo beams and brake lights there should be no problem at all.